Some may argue that Facebook and privacy shouldn’t be put in the same sentence. That’s mostly because there is no real way to hide anything from Facebook, especially since it can track your traffic and gather info even when you’re not using the platform.
However, despite the constant flack the world’s largest social network gets for its insatiable hunger for information, it actually does offer its users some neat privacy options. You can endlessly customize what you want to show to strangers who stumble upon your profile, as well as your friends. It is quick and easy to do. Let’s see how to hide your friends list.
Desktop and Laptop
First, we’ll see how to hide your friends list on a desktop or laptop computer. The process is identical for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux users. You will need no third-party applications or online tools to complete this task.
Hide the List from Everyone
To hide your friends list from everyone, follow these steps:
- Launch the browser on your computer.
- Go to https://facebook.com and enter your phone number or email address and password. If you’re already logged in, skip to the next step.
- Click the downward-pointing triangle icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Once the dropdown menu opens, click the “Settings” option.
- Facebook will then redirect you to the Settings page. There, find the “Privacy” tab in the menu on the left side of the screen. It should be right below “General”, “Security and Login”, and “Your Facebook Information” tabs.
- When the Privacy page opens, find the “How people find and contact you” section and click anywhere on the “Who can see your friends list?” tab. You can also click the “Edit” button in the tab’s upper-right corner.
- Click the dropdown menu at the bottom of the tab and click the “Only me” option.
Facebook will automatically save your new setting and hide your friends list from everyone.
Hide the List from One Person
In case you’d like to hide the list of your FB friends from one particular person or a group of persons, you should follow these steps.
- Launch the browser of your choice.
- Go to https://facebook.com. If you’re automatically logged in, skip to the next step. If you’re not logged in, enter your credentials and log in.
- Once you reach the “Home” page, click the downward-facing triangle icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Choose the “Settings” option from the drop-down menu.
- You will then be taken to the Settings page. Find the “Privacy” tab in the menu on the left side of the screen. It should be near the top of the list.
- When the “Privacy Settings and Tools” page opens in the main section of the screen, click anywhere on the “Who can see your friends list?” tab.
- Next, click the button at its bottom to open a dropdown menu.
- Pick the “Custom” option. That’s the one with a cog on the left.
- When the “Custom Privacy” window opens, enter the name or names of friends whose license to see the list of your friends you want to revoke.
- Once you’re done, click the “Save Changes” button.
Facebook’s mobile app gives you the same options regarding the visibility of your friends list. Let’s see how to hide the list through the mobile app.
- Tap the Facebook app icon to launch it.
- Tap the icon with three horizontal lines in the upper-right corner to enter the Main menu.
- Once the Main menu opens, tap on the “Settings & Privacy” tab to expand it.
- Next, tap on the “Settings” tab.
- Scroll down to the “Privacy” section and tap the “Privacy settings” option.
- Scroll down to the “How people find and contact you” section and tap the “Who can see your friends list?” tab.
- Facebook will show you the list of available settings. Choose “Only me” if you want to hide the list from all friends and strangers. The “Friends” option will make the list unavailable to strangers. The “Specific Friends” option is there for people who want to share their list with a small number of friends. Finally, the “Friends except” is for those who want to exclude a small number of friends. With the last two options, you will have to manually pick the friends whom you want to deny access to your friends list.
Facebook will automatically save your new settings. Have in mind that what you set on your mobile will show on the desktop/laptop as well, as Facebook instantly synchronizes your account across the devices.
If you don’t want one or more of your Facebook friends to see your entire friends list, you shouldn’t hesitate to hide it. With the methods described in this article, you’ll be able to customize your privacy settings in a matter of seconds.