Instagram Stories made a huge boom when they first became available on the platform. They are a fantastic way of getting your message through to your followers. Instagram stories are widely used by brands who want to advertise their products and inform customers about new features and products because they stay visible for 24 hours.
However, you can make an Instagram story permanent by moving it to your Highlights section. Stay with us, and we will explain how everything works.
How Stories Work
Stories have made Instagram more popular than ever before. According to Instagram, an average user now spends 32 minutes a day using this platform. Before the Stories feature, they spent 24 minutes, so the feature helped Instagram boost the average engagement of its users for 33%. Creating a Story is very simple, but there are some basic rules you have to consider.
- Each Story can last anywhere between 3 and 60 seconds. The limit used to be 15 seconds in the beginning.
- If your video is longer than allowed, the feature with cut it at 60 seconds.
- You can use third-party apps to add all kinds of effects to your stories.
- Instagram Stories last for 24 hours.
- You can add a Story to your Highlights to make it permanent.
- If your Instagram Story exceeds the duration limit, you can use a few mobile apps to divide it into multiple stories that will play one after another.
How to See Instagram Stories
Instagram Stories show on the top of the app’s Home screen. That’s one of the reasons why many users and businesses turn to Stories when they want to engage the followers. You can browse the Stories posted by other users like this:
- Click on any of the circular icons on top of your Home screen. The selected Story will play, and it will lose the highlighted circle after you’ve viewed it in its entirety. You can also access your Story by clicking on the first icon on the left.
- You can skip photos or videos in a Story made from multiple elements by tapping the left or the right side of the screen. Of course, the Story will still cycle through all images and videos, but you can speed things up this way.
- To skip to the next Story, swipe to the left.
How to Create Your Story
It takes only a few minutes to create a memorable Instagram Story. The feature allows you to add photos and videos from your gallery, but you can also record videos and take photos during the creation process. Here is what you have to do to create your Instagram Story:
- When on the Instagram Home page, tap the Camera icon in the top left corner to start the creation process. You can also activate the camera by swiping from left to right.
- Select a photo or video from your phone’s gallery or select the camera lens and make a video or take a photo.
- You can choose between a few different video modes, including Superzoom, Boomerang, Live, Normal, Rewind, Stop-Motion, and Hands-Free. Each mode is different, allowing you to make all kinds of exciting Stories.
- Edit your content by adding effects or text. You can also use third-party apps if you want more editing options. When you’re happy with your content, tap “Your Story,” or just hit “Next” and the story will become available for your friends to watch.
Make Your Stories Permanent
Since Instagram Stories only last for 24 hours, you can make them permanently available by moving them to your Highlights section. Highlighted Stories will appear under your profile photo and it will stay there until removed. Here is how you can move a Story to your Highlights:
- Open your Instagram profile and select “Story Highlights” right under your Bio.
- Tap the + icon and select the Story you want to add to the Highlights. You will be able to choose old Stories, too.
- Select a cover photo and a name for your Highlight and tap “Done.” You can add more videos and photos to any highlight by tapping and holding it, and then selecting “Edit Highlight.”
Engage Your Followers with Creative Stories
Instagram Stories have made this social platform more popular than ever before. The feature is ideal for engaging your followers and getting updates from the people you follow. With a little creativity, you will be able to make some memorable Stories that might eventually get a spot in your Highlights section. 24 hours is just not enough for some Stories.
Do you use the Stories feature regularly? What’s your favorite third-party app for creating unique Stories? Share your experiences in the comments section below.