How to Change Your Username on Instagram
Many people who sign up for online sites on impulse usually don’t give a second thought to the username that they use. This can grow problematic if you want to use an account officially, but you’ve already given it a silly name.
Thankfully, Instagram allows name changes, though with a few limitations. In this article, we’ll show you how to change your username on Instagram and give you related info about editing your profile’s name too.
Before We Begin
- Before We Begin
- How to Change Your Instagram Username on the Web
- How to Change Your Instagram Username on Android
- How to Change Your Instagram Username on iPhone
- How to Change Your Username on Instagram Without Waiting 14 Days
- How to Change Your Username on Instagram Within 14 Days
- How to Change Your Username on Instagram After Changing It Twice
- How to Change Your Instagram Username to One Word
- Additional FAQ
- A Simple Process
Your Instagram profile has two different types of names: the display name and the username. Your username can be changed as often as you want, but it’s limited to thirty characters and can only contain letters, numbers, underscores, or periods. The display name features the same limitations, but can only be changed twice in a fourteen-day period.
Your username needs to be unique, as it’s how Instagram can identify your particular account. Thankfully, display names don’t have this problem; different users with similar display names are entirely possible.
How to Change Your Instagram Username on the Web
If you’re using a computer to access Instagram, then you can edit your profile by connecting to their webpage. You can change either the display name or username by doing the following:
Changing your display or username on the webpage:
- Log onto your Instagram Account.
- On your Instagram home page, click on your profile icon on the right menu. Alternatively, you can click on the profile icon on the upper right corner of the screen, then click on Profile on the dropdown window.
- Once open, click on Edit Profile just to the right of your username.
- Your display name will be on the text box beside the label Name.
- Your user name will be on the text box beside the label Username.
- Once you’ve changed the one you want, scroll down and click on the Submit button on the bottom of the page.
- Your changes will now be saved by Instagram. You can now navigate away from this window.
How to Change Your Instagram Username on Android
If you’re using the mobile version of Instagram, and wish to edit your profile on an Android device, then you can follow these steps:
Changing your display name or username on a mobile device:
- Open the Instagram App on your Android device and log in.
- Tap on your profile icon on the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Tap on Edit Profile on the bottom of your profile icon.
- Your display name is on the text box on the bottom of the label Name. Your username is on the text box on the text box below the label Username.
- Once you’ve finished editing either one, tap on the check icon on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Your changes should now be saved. You can navigate away from this screen.
How to Change Your Instagram Username on iPhone
Thankfully, Instagram’s mobile app isn’t system-dependent, so the same procedures to change your display or username on Android also apply on iPhone.
How to Change Your Username on Instagram Without Waiting 14 Days
If your referring to your unique username, then you can change it as many times as you want, as long as you follow the naming rules. However, the display name can only be changed twice per fourteen days. Some workarounds are detailed below:
- Delete your display name –When you leave your display name blank, Instagram will use your username instead. As the user name can be changed at any time, just use this as a temporary name, until such time as the editing lock period has passed.
- Use the Help Center – If you believe that you have a good reason to justify changing your display name back, you can resort to the Instagram Help Center. To do this, for either a computer or mobile device, do the following:
- For computer users:
- Open Instagram and log in.
- On the home screen, either click on your profile icon to the right, or click on your profile icon on the upper left corner and choose Profile from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the gear icon located on the right side of your username.
- From the popup window, click on Report a Problem.
- On the popup window, type in your reason in the text box provided. If you wish to add a screenshot, click on Add File and then search for the image on the search window.
- Once done click on Send Report.
- On a mobile device:
- Open your Instagram App and log in.
- On the home screen, tap on your profile icon on the lower right corner.
- Tap on the three lines icon on the upper right corner.
- Tap on Settings on the bottom of the menu.
- Tap on Help.
- Tap on Report a Problem, then tap on Report a Problem on the popup window.
- Type in your reason. Once you’re done, tap on Submit on the upper right corner.
How to Change Your Username on Instagram Within 14 Days
Whenever you change your username, Instagram will lock the previous name as taken for a period of fourteen days. You have until that time to change it back, otherwise, it becomes open again and any other user can use it for themselves.
How to Change Your Username on Instagram After Changing It Twice
If you’ve recently changed your display name twice, you can either wait for the time limit to run out, or try and ask the Help Center to change it for you. There is technically no other way to change it until the waiting period is over. However, usernames have no such limits.
How to Change Your Instagram Username to One Word
Usernames can be from one to thirty characters in length. As long as it’s unique, you can use one word as a username. If you don’t wish to use an underscore, you can connect two words together to make one word.
Here are a few common questions that crop up in discussions involving Instagram usernames.
Why can’t I edit my username on Instagram?
If you can’t change your username, then it may be in use by someone else, or it has been blocked by Instagram for some reason. Either choose another name, or check to see if it’s inactive and if it will become free to use soon.
Can I change my Instagram username?
Yes. As mentioned, it can be changed as often as you want, as long as you follow the naming rules.
Can you change your Instagram username and keep your followers?
Changing your username doesn’t reset your profile. Any followers you have will still be there when you change your name.
A Simple Process
Changing your username on Instagram is a really simple process, as long as you know what to do. Though subject to some limitations, you can freely change it in order to adequately reflect the nature of your Instagram account.
Have you ever had experience in changing your username on Instagram? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.