How to Make a Photo Collage on a Chromebook
Making collages is becoming one of the most widespread ways to share photos on social media. It gives users many options to express their creativity and personalize their stories in novel ways.
There are many apps for many different platforms to help you make collages, but in this article, we’re looking at what’s available for the Chromebook users out there. You’ll also learn some of the best practices to follow when making collages in general, so let’s dig right in.
How to Make a Stunning Photo Collage
Making a photo collage is not rocket science, but there are some design principles that will help you go from good to great. At its core, a photo collage is just a series of photos arranged in an attractive way.
The first thing you want to do is to select the right photos. When you’re preparing photos for a collage, don’t settle for a single shot. Take a lot of pictures from a lot of different angles. You never know how they’re going to fit together.
Once you have a good library of pictures, the second thing you need to think of is a theme. Consider what you’re trying to convey with the collage. Which emotions are present and what kind of message are you sending? The best collages will instantly tell the viewer that they’re looking at a coherent scene. Here is where you decide whether you want the close-up shot or the medium and which lighting suits the scene better.
When you have a good idea of what your theme is, everything else will fall into place, more or less. You’ll have an idea of how many pictures you need and how they should be organized. From there, do a lot of experimenting. Change the background, add text or other images, and be as creative as you can.
Now you’ll learn about some great applications that can help you with this process on the Chromebook. These will take a lot of the guesswork out of it and get you on the right path.
It doesn’t get much easier than Loupe Collage, and it’s free to boot. This is an extension designed to make short work of a large number of photos. If you have a massive image library and aren’t sure about how to organize it, this is the one for you. Here’s how it’s done:
- Visit the Loupe Web Store page and add the extension to your Chrome browser.
- Access your apps in the top-left corner of a new Chrome tab and launch Loupe. As soon as you launch it, you will select “Add Images.”
- You will be presented with an interface to choose which photos you want to use. Select Upload from the top menu to choose photos from your device. If you’re using a Chromebook, you can upload from your Google Drive or any social media platform directly.
- Select as many photos as you want and then click Done on the bottom-right. Loupe will make a collage with your images.
- Use the Loupe editor to make changes to your collage. Change the size, borders, background, and make any other necessary adjustments. You can choose just about any shape in which to organize your pictures and even draw your own shape. Don’t forget to save your collage once you’ve finished.
This app is not free, but it does have a free trial which is worth taking advantage of because you might just end up loving it. PicMonkey has a lot of nice features and a very intuitive interface. There’s little you can’t do when it comes to making collages. Follow these steps to make your collage:
- Add the extension from the Chrome Web store. It works on a paid model, but it has a 7-day free trial.
- Start your free trial and click on “Create New” in the top-left corner.
- In the next menu, select “Templates” and choose a layout that you like for the collage. The PicMonkey library has hundreds of beautiful template designs organized by application. So if you’re making a collage for Instagram, look in the Instagram section for great templates perfect for uploading.
- When you have picked the right template, click Customize in the prompt. PicMonkey works with layers, so every part of the picture is a layer that you can edit. Click any of the photos in the template to replace them with your own and get creative with text, graphics, frames, and textures.
- PicMonkey automatically saves your work, so all you have to do when you’re finished is click the “Export” button at the top and you’re ready to go.
Make the Perfect Collage
Always keep in mind that the most important ingredient in making a great collage is you. The tools you use are just that, tools. Your creativity and your eye for design are ultimately the factors that will make your work stand out. As long as you express yourself in the way you envisioned, you’ll make a beautiful collage.
So, these are two quick and easy ways to make collages on the Chromebook. You’ve got the free option in Loupe Collage, which is great in dealing with a large volume of photos but sacrifices a little functionality. On the other hand, PicMonkey works almost like a proper photo editor, giving you a lot of options and variety to make the perfect collage.
What other tools do you use to make impressive collages on the Chromebook? Tell us about your favorites in the comments section below.