How To Resize a Video
It can be hard to send a video to a friend when it is too big for all standard social platforms and email services. If you don’t want to deal with cloud uploading and downloading, video resizing apps are your next best option. Let’s see how to resize videos on various operating systems.
iPhone users have a wide range of video manipulation tools at their disposal. Video Slimmer is dedicated to resizing videos and it has an intuitive interface.
- If you don’t have the Video Slimmer app, download and install it from the App Store.
- Once the installation is done, launch it on your iPhone.
- Tap the “+” icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Browse the Camera Roll for the video you want to resize. Tap on it.
- Tap on the Gear icon in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the “Settings” tab.
- Once the video settings menu opens, you will see the list of available video resolutions.
- Select the one you want to convert your video to.
- After that, tap on the “Slim Now” button.
Android users, like iPhone and iPad users, have many video manipulation apps available. One of the easiest ways to resize your videos is to use the Video Compressor by MobileIdea Studio.
- Download and install the app from Google Play.
- When the download completes, launch the app.
- On the main screen, you will have the option to choose from your camera vids or select a file from a folder. Browse for the video you want to resize and tap on it.
- Next, you will see the list of available options. Choose “Compress Video”. Alternatively, you can choose to both cut and compress it.
- Choose the compression rate from the list. You can also check the “Delete Audio” box if you want to mute the video.
- Wait for the compression process to end. The new video will start playing automatically when the compression process ends.
VLC Media Player
Desktop and laptop users can resize their videos with VLC Media Player by Videolan. If you don’t have the app, you can download it from videolan.org. Windows, Mac OS, and Linux versions are available.
Resizing a video with VLC Media Player takes a few minutes, but gives you almost unlimited options.
- Launch VLC Media Player.
- Click the “Media” tab in the Main Menu.
- Click the “Open Capture Device” option.
- Click the “File” tab.
- Click the “+ Add” button and browse for the video.
- Once you’ve added the video to the list, click the arrow next to the “Play” button.
- Select the “Convert” option.
- Click the “Edit Selected Profile” icon.
- Once the new pane opens, you should name the profile. The new file can’t be saved unless it’s named.
- Next, click the “Video codec” tab.
- Check the “Video” box.
- Click the “Resolution” tab.
- Select the new values in the “Frame Size Width” and “Height” boxes.
- Click “Save” or “Create”, depending on the version of the player.
- Next, click the “Browse” button on the Convert pane and select the destination folder for your new video.
- Click the “Start” button.
- VLC Media Player will then convert your video according to the settings you chose.
The source video will remain intact after the conversion is done. Play the new resized video to check whether the picture and sound are ok.
If you’re using a desktop or laptop computer and you want to resize a video in a quick and easy way, you might want to give EZGIF a chance. This tool is available online, so you don’t need to install anything, and it supports various file formats.
- Open your browser and navigate to ezgif.com.
- Click the “Video to GIF” tab in the Main Menu.
- Select “Resize”.
- Browse for the video you want to resize and double-click on it.
- Enter the desired height in the “New height” column.
- Enter the desired width in the “New width” column.
- Click the “Save” button to export your resized video.
Aside from resizing, you cut the video if you want to save even more space. Have in mind that EZGIF supports files up to 35MB in size.
The Wrap Up
Whether you’re using iOS, Android, Mac OS, Linux, or Windows, you can find a way to resize your videos in this article. These methods are great when you want to send a recording to a friend, and they also help you save space on your device.