How to Watch YouTube Nintendo Switch
The Nintendo Switch is a great portable console for playing games both online and offline. Some users, however, don’t realize that the Switch can be used for more than just gaming. Its online capabilities allow it to access several websites, including the popular video sharing site, YouTube.
In this article, we’ll show you how to watch YouTube videos on your Nintendo Switch.
Setting Up the Internet Connection
To connect to any website, you first have to make sure that your Switch actually has access to the Internet. To check Switch’s Internet settings, you can do the following:
- From the HOME menu, select System Settings.
- On the menu to the left choose Internet. Your Connection Status shall be labeled as either Connected or Not Connected. If Connected, you’re all set, otherwise proceed to the next steps.
For Wireless Connections:
- When you get to the Internet menu, the Switch will scan for any wireless networks in range.
- Choose the name of your network and enter the password.
1. If you can’t see the name of your Wi-Fi, try to stand closer to the router and press the Y button to try and search for it again. If you still can’t find it, this may be an error with the network itself.
2. If you can see your Wi-Fi’s name but it’s grayed out then the network’s security type is incompatible with Nintendo Switch. Refer to Nintendo’s customer support page to see what security settings are compatible with Nintendo Switch.
For wired connections:
For Nintendo Switch, connecting to wired internet requires that the console be in TV mode. For the Switch Lite, you’ll need an accessory that allows you to plug in a USB to LAN adapter. Once that is done, do the following:
- Insert a USB to LAN adapter in the Switch Dock’s USB port.
- Connect your router to the adapter using an Ethernet cable.
- Place your Switch on the dock, or the Switch Lite on the accessory.
- On the HOME menu choose System Settings.
- Select Internet.
- Select Internet Settings.
- The Switch will scan for connections. Once it’s available choose Wired Connection.
- Choose Connect to the Internet via Wired Connection.
- After the Switch tests the connection choose OK.
Connecting Switch to YouTube
Once you have your Internet set up, you’ll want to download the free YouTube app from the Nintendo eShop. Once installed, click on the app from your HOME menu. Once you do this, you’ll be asked to Sign in. This is done by entering your Google account details. If you have multiple accounts, choose the one that you use to regularly watch videos on YouTube. If you choose an account that isn’t linked, you might not be able to sign in.
You can now navigate YouTube through the left Joy Con or the Dpad on any connected controller. Choosing a video from the main menu is done this way.
When on a video, you can either hit Go Home to go back to the main screen, hit the Pause/Play button to pause or resume a video, click on Captions to turn on Closed Captions, or choose More Actions to Subscribe, Rate, or Flag the video.
You can also use the Joy Con buttons to move forward or backward during playback. Alternatively, you can tap at a particular area on the navigation bar to move to that particular time.
Searching for Videos
To look for particular videos, head over to the YouTube Main Menu. Once there, click X to open the search bar. When entering the name of the video, pressing Y will add a space, and pressing B will delete the current character.
Videos relevant to your search query will be displayed at the bottom of your screen. Pressing left or right on your Joy Con or on the Dpad of a connected controller will allow you to browse the videos.
You can press X again, or click on the keyboard icon to look for more videos. You can use touch-typing when the Switch is undocked or is in handheld mode.
You can also use this app to watch YouTube 360 videos. Just use the Joy Con or any attached controller to pan left or right.
There are limited Parental Restrictions available for the YouTube app. To access this, you can follow these steps:
- From the HOME menu navigate to System Settings.
- Choose Parental Controls.
- Choose Parental Control Settings.
- Choose either Use Your Smart Device to use the mobile parental control app, or Use this Console to set the restrictions on the Switch itself.
- Select the restriction settings.
When the restrictions are set to Pre-Teen or Child, the Switch will lock the app and won’t allow it to be used. Teen and Not Restricted will not block YouTube.
An All-in-One Entertainment Device
With the rapid rise of social media, it has been the trend to make these sites available to multiple platforms. It’s not surprising the Nintendo Switch has followed suit. Giving you the ability to watch videos along with its gaming capabilities makes the console an attractive all-in-one entertainment machine.
Have you used the Switch to watch videos? Do you know how to watch YouTube on the Nintendo Switch that is different from what has been described here? You can share your thoughts in the comments section below.