Does Instagram Have a Dark Mode?
Instagram has come a long way from its humble beginnings to become one of the most popular apps out there. If you spend a lot of time browsing through Instagram, you are not alone, but staring at a bright white screen in a dark room can be an eyesore after a few hours.
Luckily, there are some things you can do to tweak Instagram and replace the white background with a black one. This article will show you how to set up dark mode on Instagram on your Android or iOS device.
Getting Dark Mode on iPhone and iPad
If you own an iPhone, you can use the built-in “Smart Invert” feature to change the background colors of all apps to a night-friendly dark mode. The feature is easy to set up, and you can use it when you’re in a room with little light or during the night. Here is how you can set it up:
- Open Settings.
- Navigate to “General,” then “Accessibility,” and select “Display Accommodations.”
- Tap “Invert Colors,” and choose between the “Smart Invert” and “Classic Invert” options. Select one, and the colors on your screen will invert. (The white background will become black, and black letters will appear as white. Other colors and highlights will keep their original colors.)
- Set up an “Accessibility Shortcut” so you can turn the feature on by tapping the Home button three times.
The “Smart Invert” feature of your iPhone works well as dark mode, but it doesn’t invert all of the colors on your screen. Since the iPhone doesn’t come with a built-in dark mode, you can get a third-party app called IGDarkMode. Beware that the app works only on jailbroken phones, so you shouldn’t do this if your phone is still under warranty as it will become null and void.
Here is how you can install and use IGDarkMode for Instagram:
- Open Cydia (the app used to jailbreak your phone), and tap on the magnifying glass icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Open the search bar and type “igdarkmode.” Tap on the first result to access the options.
- Tap “Modify” and hit the “Install” button.
- When the app is installed, hit “Confirm.” Wait for the process to finish and tap “Restart SpringBoard” to restart your iPhone. IGDarkMode is now installed and ready to run.
Enabling IGDarkMode on Instagram
You will have to enable IGDarkMode on Instagram manually. Here is what you have to do:
- Open the “Settings” app on your phone and tap “IGDarkMode.”
- Tap where it says “Enabled” to turn dark mode on. Go back to the Home screen and open Instagram.
- Your Instagram background will now be dark and easier on your eyes.
Instagram Dark Mode for Android devices
Some Android smartphones come with a built-in dark mode, but you need to download a third-party app for most of them. With that said, even if you install a dark mode app, it may not work on your Instagram account. The only real way you can get dark mode on Instagram is by downloading an app called GBInsta.
GBInsta is really an improved version of the official Instagram app. It allows you to make all kinds of changes and tweak your Instagram experience to your preferences. The app also makes downloading and uploading images much easier than with the official Instagram app. Here is how you can change the theme of your Instagram account using GBInsta:
- Download GBInsta.
- Run the app and log in with your existing Instagram ID and password.
- Go to your profile page and click on the settings icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap “Download Themes,” and press “Allow.”
- Select the black theme and tap “OK” to restart the app.
- Your Instagram will now turn black, but only when you run it through the GBInsta app.
You can also download any of the “Dark Mode” apps available on Google Play Store, but most of them won’t be able to change your Instagram theme because it’s a separate app.
Minimize the Strain on Your Eyes With Instagram Dark Mode
It doesn’t matter if you’re using Instagram or any other app; if the background is white, your eyes will feel the strain after some time. Things become even harder on your eyes if you are staring at the screen in a dark room, so it’s always best that you install or set dark mode on in those cases.
Remember, too much screen time has many negative implications for your eyesight and overall health. It’s been proven that people who spend over four hours looking at their phones experience fatigue and headaches, not to mention watery eyes and other issues. Set up dark mode on your phone and you can at least make sure that the damage is minimal.