How to Use Instagram Stories
You’ve probably already heard of Stories if you’re a Snapchat user (Yes, Instagram admittedly copied Snapchat with this one), and now the Stories feature is the latest addition to Instagram as well. If you’re not a Snapchat user or otherwise familiar with Stories, here are a few helpful tips to explain this new feature.
You’ve probably noticed that the Instagram application has now added an Instagram Stories feature to its once-simple-and-straightforward app. Stories let you post photos and videos on a whim, as random events happen throughout your day. Here’s how to take advantage of the Stories mode on Instagram:
- Tap on the plus (+) symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the Instagram app.
- Now you’ll be on the camera screen. You can use either the front-facing or rear-facing camera on your mobile device.
- To take a picture and add it to your Instagram Stories, tap the white circular button on the bottom of your screen.
- Or, to record an Instagram video to add to your story, hold that same white circular button down until you’ve captured a video to your liking.
- To add your picture or video to your Instagram Stories without any alteration, tap on the checkmark in the white circle at the bottom of your screen to post it immediately.
Add Text and Colors
To add text to your Instagram Stories picture or video:
- Tap on the “Aa” in the upper right-hand corner of your mobiles device’s display. (Note: This picture has a filter added to it—we’ll get to that in a minute.)
- Next, add your desired text and position appropriately.
- Resize the text if needed by pinching inward or outward with your fingers on your mobile device’s screen.
- If you want to use colored text to write on your photo or video, tap on the icon that looks like a marker drawing a line, just to the left of that “Aa” in the previous step.
- You can use a regular-tipped marker, a wide-tipped marker, or an iridescent marker. The color palette to select your text’s color from is located along the bottom of your mobile device’s display.
- In the lower left-hand corner of your screen, an indicator lets you adjust the size of your marker tip.
- By swiping to the right on your screen, you can modify the filter settings on your picture or video before sending it to your Instagram story.
- If you’d like to save your photo or video, tap the symbol (that looks like an arrow pointing downward at the horizontal line) in the lower right-hand corner to download it to your device.
- Alternatively, when you’re watching your own Instagram story, you get the option to save the picture or video by tapping the three small dots in the lower right-hand corner of your mobile screen. This also gives you the option to delete the photo or video, share it as a post, or go into your Stories settings.
We also want to mention that using Stories is a great opportunity to work on your best friend captions!
Until next time,
Enjoy Instagram’s new Stories mode!