How to Install Discord on PS4
The Discord app has become so popular among gamers that it doesn’t need any introduction. With millions of users all across the globe, Discord stands as one of the best platforms for audio, video, image, and text communication between users.
It’s well-known that Discord can be installed on PC and various other platforms. But can it be used on PS4 consoles as well? This article will help you set up your PlayStation 4 so that you can talk with your friends on Discord while playing your favorite games on this console.
Using Discord on PlayStation 4
Unfortunately, the Discord app currently doesn’t support the PlayStation 4 console. But from the looks of it, things could change sooner rather than later.
Discordians all around the world have been sending requests and opening dozens of topics on Discord’s official Support page, asking for developers to make the PS4 version of the app. Since Discord pays close attention to the community’s requests and complaints, we could get the official Discord app for PlayStation 4 and many other consoles.
Does that mean that you need to wait for the app to be released in order to use Discord on PS4? Absolutely not.
There’s still a way to use Discord on your PlayStation 4, provided that you have all the necessary equipment. This could take longer to set up, but it will be worth it.
So, if you want to follow along with the tutorial below, you need to purchase a headset that has an optical cable and supports USB connection. You will also need a mixamp or similar device to switch audio between your PC and PS4. For example, you can use the A40 TR headset with the mixamp PRO TR as they are proven to be a good combination for this type of setups.
Besides the two items and the cables that go with them (3.5mm Male to Male, 3.5mm Aux Splitter, 3.5mm to 3.5mm with Volume), you’ll need to install Discord on your PC.
Once you’ve acquired all necessary items, it’s time to set everything up. Let’s start by connecting your PS4 console with your mixamp. Here’s everything you need to do.
- Power on your PlayStation 4 console.
- Connect one side of the optical cable to your PlayStation 4, and the other to the back of your mixamp. You should make sure that your mixamp is set to Console mode. If you’ve connected everything successfully, your headset will be assigned as a USB device. You will see a message on the screen notifying you about this.
- Navigate to your PlayStation 4’s Settings.
- Scroll down and select the Sound and Screen option.
- Select Audio Output Settings.
- Select the Digital Output Port and change it to Optical. It’s advised that you select the Dolby 5.1 channel.
- Then select Audio Format and choose Bitstream (Dolby).
- Go back to the initial Settings screen and select Devices.
- Open Audio Devices.
- Make sure that the Output to Headphones is set to Chat Audio.
Now, it’s time to connect everything to your PC.
- Power on your computer.
- Plug one side of your USB cable into your mixamp, and the other into your PC. Make sure that your mixamp is now in PC Mode.
- Open the Discord app on your computer.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select the Voice option.
- In the Input Device section, select the headset that you’re using.
- Leave the Output Device set to Default.
- Click Done to finish.
You should now be able to freely talk through Discord and use your PlayStation 4 audio at the same time.
However, it won’t be possible for you to hear any other audio playing on your computer. This is because your PlayStation 4 is taking the primary audio source on your mixamp. Luckily, there’s an easy fix to this issue.
All you need to do is plug your 3.5 to 3.5mm cable into the Speaker port on your PC and into the AUX port on your mixamp. Then change the Output Device from step number 7 to Speakers, and voila – problem solved.
Chat over Discord While Enjoying Your Favorite PlayStation 4 Games
With these steps, you can play your favorite PlayStation 4 games while using Discord at the same time. The setup might take a bit longer, but it will be worth it.
This method will have to suffice until the official PlayStation 4 version of the app comes to life.
Have you managed to set everything up? Which headset and mixamp are you using? Tell us in the comments below.