How To Kick Somebody Out of your Hulu Account
Hulu is another streaming service that adds to our arsenal of entertainment options. From movies to TV shows and documentaries, the service starts at $5.99/month. The subscription often runs specials to run with other services like Spotify and Disney+.
You can even get live TV options meaning it can be a replacement for traditional cable and satellite programs. Streaming services are often shared among friends and family members. To combat the loss of revenue the company is seeing, they’ve implemented a limited number of streams. This means that only so many people can watch programs at one time.
You may get an error when trying to catch up on your favorite show stating that no streams are available right now, or someone may have unauthorized access to your account.
If you’re facing either one of these predicaments, you can boot other users from your account.
Read on to procure instructions on the next steps necessary to make this a reality…
Kicking Hulu Account Freeloaders to the Curb
In this article, I’ll go over how to rid yourself of the uninvited watchers, prevent them from re-accessing your Hulu account, and how best to beef up your account’s security to prevent any future unauthorized access.
Follow along carefully every step of the way to ensure you’ve done all that needs to be done to obtain peace of mind for the future. Any skipped step could be considered a “crack in the foundation” of your account’s security. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.
Here we go.
Performing A Bit of Detective Work
Likely the biggest red flag that someone is or has been using your Hulu account other than yourself, or someone you gave access to, is spotting odd choices in recommended films or new, unfamiliar accounts.
You could reach out to those you know may have access to your Hulu to see if this is of their doing. This will help you weed out the possibility of a hack, at which point, you can commence removing people as you see fit. Kick out those freeloaders!
This tutorial will take you to the account page in Hulu. This is easily accessed by clicking on your profile icon (located in the top right-hand corner of the Hulu browser).
This menu option will appear and we’ll work from here.
Digging A Little Deeper
After you’ve finished harassing family and friends, you can check to see if your home device information has been changed. If altered, this could give you a deeper sense of the type of individual currently taking your Hulu account on a joyride.
It’s your account so you should know which devices are and are not authorized to be synced up with it. To view and manage your devices:
- Head on over and log in to your Account page using your preferred web browser.
- Locate the “Your Account” section and click on Manage Devices. Look for “Watch Hulu on Your Devices” located on the right-hand side.
- When the window pops up, it will contain a list of all of the currently registered devices attached to your Hulu account.
- Any that are unfamiliar or know for a fact shouldn’t be there can be quickly deleted by clicking Remove, located next to the specific device. Fortunately, Hulu lists the dates of access here, if you gave your password to your cousin last week, it’s likely their device.
Another interesting thing you can do is log out of all web browsers, aside from the one you’re currently using, directly on your PC. You can do this:
- If you head back out to the “Your Account” section, click on Protect Your Account. You can find it under “Privacy and Settings”.
- From the popup window, select Log out of all computers.
Anyone logged into your account from any computer, aside from the one you’re currently at, will be booted from it. But this won’t keep them out permanently if they have your password!
Time For A New and Improved Account Password
As soon as you’ve booted every device from your Hulu account, you should change your password immediately. If someone has been in your account, then that means your password has been compromised. Regardless if you’ve given it to them on purpose or not, this is a huge breach in your personal security and needs to be dealt with swiftly and without mercy. Solution? If you want them to stay off your account, you’ll need to change the password.
While logged into your Hulu account:
- Under the “Your Account” section, locate “Password” and select Change.
- Enter in your currently compromised password and fill out a new, more secure password.
- Your password should consist of a combination of upper and lowercase letters, digits, and special characters. Avoid using full, English words. Instead, opt for a phrase or list of random, incoherent words. Length is also helpful. A longer password is more difficult to guess than a shorter one. An example would be [email protected]$hiR7, which is just BearAutomobileShirt in a much less easily deciphered context. Granted, you will have to remember this password yourself, so make sure you are able to somehow recall the specific characters you use.
- Click Save Changes when you’re finished to complete the process.
Be smart and don’t give this information out to anyone. You can avoid ever having to do this again by practicing good security procedures and protocols. It may also benefit you to change your registered email to something new as that too could have been compromised.
To do so:
- You guessed it. It’ll be in the “Your Account” section. Look for “Email” and select Change.
- Your current email will be displayed. Just enter the new email and confirm it.
- You’ll be prompted for your (newly changed) password. Type it and click Save Changes.
Deleting Unwanted Profiles
As the title suggests, it’s time to remove all of the unwanted profiles from your Hulu account. Just like every other process in this article, this will be a simple one. Just be sure that when you’re ready to remove a profile, you’re 100% sure it’s what you want to do. This step is permanent.
If you’re ready:
- Take your cursor and hover it over the name located in the top-right corner of the page.
- Click Manage Profiles.
- Locate the profile you want to delete and select it. A popup window will show.
- From the popup window, select Delete Profile.
- Confirm it.
The profile is no more. Repeat these steps for each profile you want to be removed from your account.
Whether you choose to let your friends and family swipe free Hulu from you in the future is a decision only you can make. HOWEVER, if it helps you make your decision, consider how often you want to repeat the above steps to re-secure your Hulu account once things go sour (or the next season of your stories is released). Perhaps it would just be easier to get them a Hulu Gift Card and go on with your life.