Lenovo Webcam Not Working – What you Can Do
There is a known issue on some Lenovo laptops where the webcam doesn’t work. The webcam itself is either not detected by Windows or there’s an apparent glitch with the device driver. Of course, this can be a very frustrating issue and isn’t just limited to Lenovo products.
The cause of this problem stems from an issue with a setting in some Lenovo laptops that disables the camera for the privacy of the laptop user.
In this case, fixing your webcam should be pretty easy to do. If you’re not so lucky, you may have some updating or tweaking to do to get your webcam to work.
No worries, though. We’ll show you what you need to do to fix some common issues you might run into with your Lenovo webcam.
Lenovo Webcam Not Working: How to Fix
The first fix for the Lenovo webcam not working is within the Lenovo app itself. Hit the F8 key on your laptop keyboard, which will enable or disable the Lenovo EasyCamera.
If that doesn’t work, try following these steps to fix your webcam:
- Type ‘lenovo’ into the Windows Search box and select Lenovo Settings.
- Select Camera and scroll to Privacy Mode.
- Toggle Turn Privacy Mode On to Off.
- Retest your camera.
This privacy setting is designed to protect you from hackers but can be inconvenient when you need to use your webcam.
If this solution doesn’t work, try some of the following generic fixes. These will work on any Windows computer having issues with its webcam — not just Lenovos.
Check Device Manager
Is the webcam-enabled in Device Manager?
Follow these steps to check:
- Right-click the Windows Start button and select Device Manager.
- Select Imaging Devices then Lenovo EasyCamera. If there is a yellow warning triangle by the icon, there is an issue with it. If there is a small down arrow by it, the camera has been disabled.
- Right-click the Lenovo EasyCamera and make sure there is no option to Enable. If the camera is enabled already, the option should be to Disable.
If the camera is already enabled, you may as well update the driver. Follow these steps to do so:
- Right-click the Lenovo EasyCamera again and select Update Driver.
- Select the automatic option to see if Windows can find a fresh driver.
- Allow it to install and retest.
If Windows cannot find the driver, visit this page on the Lenovo site for the latest Lenovo EasyCamera driver.
If a driver update doesn’t work, it may be worth trying a complete refresh. That means uninstalling the driver, rebooting the laptop, and installing the new driver from the link above.
Legacy settings can remain in play even when overwritten by a newer driver.
Check the Program Settings
If your webcam works in some programs and not in others, it may be the program settings and not the camera settings causing the problem.
Just follow these two steps to check:
- Open the program in question and find the Settings menu option.
- Make sure the Lenovo EasyCamera is set to be the default camera in those settings.
This may be an obvious solution, but it’s worth trying if you’re having trouble getting your webcam to work.
Remove the Lenovo Settings App
If none of those solutions work, you could remove the Lenovo Settings app altogether in case it is interfering. This shouldn’t be necessary, but if nothing else works, you have nothing to lose.
Most of the settings within the app are controllable from within Windows anyway, so you’re not damaging the laptop in any way.
To remove the Lenovo Settings app, follow these four steps:
- Navigate to Control Panel in Windows.
- Select Programs and Features and Uninstall.
- Select Lenovo Settings Dependency Package from the list and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your laptop and retest.
If your Lenovo EasyCamera still doesn’t work after all of these steps, I suggest raising a support call with tech support.
If replacing the driver, enabling the camera and removing the Lenovo app doesn’t fix it, there is something seriously wrong, so don’t waste any time! Have you experienced any problems with your Lenovo webcam? How did you resolve the problem? Please comment below.