How To Change a Group Name in the Line Chat App
In many ways, social media has enhanced person-to-person conversations. This is especially true if you are using Line because this app will always keep you engaged. You can use it for text, voice, and video chat. There are plenty of stickers and emojis to keep things colorful, too.
You can use Line for live streaming to your friends or creating an online community. There are many interesting groups on Line, and you can either be a part of an existing group or make one yourself. If you like being the admin or moderator on social media platforms, Line is a great place to start.
Have you made a group a long time ago and now it serves a different purpose than what it was originally created for? In case you want to rename your group on Line keep reading to learn how to do it.
How to Make a Line Group Chat
In case you do not own a group on Line yet, you can make one following these instructions:
- Download and update Line following this link. It is important that you have the latest version installed. Sign up in case you have not already.
- Open the app and access the Friends page located in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- You will see your friend list near the bottom. Above it is the option labeled “Create group.”Select that and add the contact you want to be a part of your new group.
- Tap on Next at the top.
- Now you will be asked to personalize your group with a photo and a name for it. The name of the group can have up to 50 characters on the newer version of Line.
In case your group is new or has not grown yet, you can actually make another new group give it a different name and purpose.
Note that you can actually make a pretty big community out of your group; the member cap is set at 500 people. If you want to exceed the cap, consider making a new group with the same name and add a number to it like “Super Mario Bros 2.”
How to Change the Group Name
Once you have created a group, follow these steps to change its name:
- Enter the group chat.
- Tap on the menu (top-right corner).
- Select Settings.
- The first option is the Group name. Tap on it and enter the new name.
- Confirm with Save.
Difference Between Line Group Chat and Multi-Person chat
Did you know there multiple ways of talking to a group of people on Line? Besides adding them to groups, you can add friends to multi-person chats. These chats lack some of the features offered by group chat, but they are easier to manage.
You cannot make notes or upload albums there, but your conversations can start instantly. When you make a multi-person chat, the people you added do not have to confirm that they want to join.
Here is how to make a multi-person chat:
- Open Line and enter the Chats section, a cloud icon next to Friends.
- Click on the cloud icon with a plus sign at the top of your screen.
- Choose the friends you want to add and tap Create in the top-right corner.
- You will instantly make a chatroom for selected friends. You can send messages right away.
If you are wondering if you can change the name of a multi-person chat, sadly, the answer is no. Instead, you can turn this multi-person chat room into a Group.
How to Turn a Multi-Person Chat into a Group Chat
To create a group out of your multi-person chat, here’s what you should do:
- Enter the Chats window and select the multi-person chat. You will see the names of friends in it and the number of friends in brackets.
- Tap on the arrow pointing down, at the top-right of your screen.
- Choose Create Group from the dropdown menu (two people with a plus icon).
- The friends who were previous members of the chat will be selected already, but you can add more people from your contacts if you wish.
- Now you can choose a profile picture and a name for the group, up to 50 characters on the newest version of Line.
- After you confirm and create a group, you will get access to all regular group chat features.
Same Thing, New Name
It is important to switch things up once in a while to keep them from becoming stale. The same goes for groups on social media, Line included. In case you plan on changing the purpose of a group, you should let others know before renaming it and using it for something else.
Are you a member of any groups on Line? Has any of the groups you’re in changed its name or purpose so drastically that you decided to leave it? Share your experiences in the comments below!