How to Restore History in Line Chat
Back in the day, changing your phone meant leaving all your messages behind you. But luckily, online chatting apps are not device-bound. Instead, they’re tied to your app profile, and this allows you to back up your chats and restore them on another device.
Line is one of many chat apps that let you do this. The backup and restore processes are simple for both Android and iOS devices. Keep reading if you’re switching devices and you want to preserve your Line chat history.
How to Restore Chat History on an Android Device?
The Line app for Android gives its users two options when it comes to backing up chat history. You can backup and restore your messages with an SD card or with Google Drive.
Backup and Restore with Your SD Card
- Launch the App.
- Navigate to the Chats tab.
- Tap the V button located at the top-right corner of the chat window.
- Tap the Chat settings option.
- Tap “Back up chat history.” If you choose “Back up text,” then all your stickers, videos, photos, and voice messages will be deleted. If you want to save them as well, choose “Back up all data” instead.
- Select where you want to save the data. It is recommended to save to an SD card for convenience.
- Insert your SD card with backups on it into your new Android device.
- Launch the Line app.
- Go to the chat room that you wish to restore the chat history for.
- Tap the V button.
- Next, go to Chat Settings.
- Tap the “Import chat history” button.
Have in mind that you’ll need to restore each chat you want to keep one by one. So if you’ve been busy on the app on the old device, it might take some time to restore all the important conversations.
In Line version 9.1.0. or later, the “Import chat history” button isn’t available, and you should use Google Drive instead.
Backup and Restore the Chats with Google Drive
Let’s see how to backup and restore your chat history with Google Drive.
- Launch the app on your old device.
- Tap the Friends (also known as More) tab.
- Go to Settings.
- Next, go to Chats.
- Tap “Back up and restore chat history.”
- Select Google Drive as the destination where you want your updates to be saved to. Please note that the stickers and images won’t be saved. To keep them, save them to Keep or Albums.
- Launch the app on the new device.
- Tap the Friends or More icons.
- Next, go to Settings.
- Go to Chats.
- Tap the “Back up and restore chat history” option.
- Tap the Restore button.
How to Restore Chat History on an iOS Device?
If you’re using an iPhone or an iPad, here’s how to backup and restore your chat history.
Backup and Restore the Chat History with iCloud
For this method to work, the installed Line version on both devices should be 6.4.0 or later. Your devices will need to run on iOS 8.1 or a later version. Also, iCloud Drive needs to be turned on. If all that applies, follow these steps to backup and restore your chat history through iCloud.
- Launch the app on the old device.
- Tap More at the top-right corner.
- Tap the Settings tab.
- Next, go to Chats.
- Tap the Chat history backup option.
- Tap “Back up now.”
- Go to the new device and launch the app from the device’s Home screen.
- Activate iCloud Drive.
- Transfer the Line account to your new iPod or iPhone.
- When you see the screen to restore chat history, you should select the “Restore chat history” option.
Have in mind that you should first activate iCloud Drive and then transfer your account. If you’ve transferred your account before activating the drive, reinstall the Line app on your device. Also, note that when backing up chats on iOS, you can’t restore stickers and images.
Backup Your Chats as Text Files
If you want to save your chats in the form of a text file, follow these steps. Remember that you won’t be able to restore your chats to a new device from a text file.
- Launch the app from your Home screen.
- Navigate to a chat you wish to back up.
- Tap the V button.
- Go to Chat Settings or Settings, depending on the device.
- Select the “Export chat history” option and pick the way you want to send the backup file.
Stay On Line
With the important chats safely stored on your new device, you’ll be able to continue chatting with your buddies as if nothing happened. Have you ever backed up your Line chats and restored them on another device? Tell us how it went and whether you had any issues.