How to Tell if Someone Added You in Line Chat
When you add friends on the Line app, in most cases the other person won’t receive any notification that it happened. At the same time, if someone adds you, you won’t get a notification either.
However, this doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to see if someone added you as a friend. It is just a bit more subtle.
This article will explain how to find out if someone added you on Line, even if you don’t receive any notifications.
See Everything in Friend Recommendations
The app’s ‘Friend Recommendations’ list works a bit differently than those of other social platforms. Line displays in its friend recommendations all friends that interacted with your profile in some way.
This includes the following four instances:
- If someone added you as a friend via the QR code
- If someone added you as a friend using your Line ID
- If someone searched your profile by using your phone number (without adding you)
- If someone shared your ID in a group chat
Therefore, whoever performed the above actions will appear in your recommendations. You’ll also see a note below their ID about why they’re in your list of recommended friends.
Added by QR Code
Each Line profile has its own QR code. If someone scans your QR and adds you as a friend, they will show up in your friend recommendations.
Your QR code is not public, so the only way to look it up would be as outlined below:
- Go into Line.
- Tap the ‘More’ icon (three horizontal dots).
- Tap the ‘QR code’ icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select ‘My QR Code’ at the bottom-right.
- You can either screenshot and send it to other people or show them the code in person so they scan it on the spot.
If you sent a screenshot of your QR code to others, it is possible for it to end up in the hands of many. So, if you come across many suspicious new recommendations with ‘Added you by QR code’ noted, that is probably the case.
Added by Line ID
If you’ve set up a Line ID and another user adds you as a friend, they’ll show up on your recommendations too.
Since this is the most popular way for users to add each other, it is possible that everybody in your friend recommendations added you by way of your line ID. Especially if you’ve posted it somewhere online.
Users that add you via you Line ID will show up as ‘Added you by Line ID.’
- Open the Line app.
- Tap the ‘Settings’ (gear icon) on the top right of the screen.
- Go to ‘Edit profile.’
- See if the ‘Allow others to add me by ID’ option is enabled.
- Uncheck the box if you don’t want others to add you by your Line ID.
Added by Phone Number
If someone adds you in Line through their contact lists – this means you’re already on their contact list – you will receive a notification. You’ll have to approve the request first before you can chat. Users that add you from a contact list will show up as ‘Added you by phone number’.
You can prevent others from adding you via phone number as follows:
- Open the line app.
- Select the ‘Friends’ tab on the bottom-left.
- Tap the ‘Add Friends’ icon in the top-right of the screen.
- Press the ‘Auto-add friends’ option.
- Disable ‘Allow others to add me’ by checking the checkbox next to it.
Now others won’t be able to add you via contacts.
Are There Any Other Ways to Know if Someone Added You?
As a matter of fact, there is only one instance where you can tell if someone added you. That is if they use the ‘Shake’ method. This requires all nearby Line users to shake their phones and they will automatically add each other.
You should already know these people since you’d all have to be there at the same time. Besides attracting the attention of onlookers, all shakers would simultaneously appear on each other’s friends list.
Be Careful with Your Information
Even if it seems tempting to share your QR code or Line ID online with a lot of other users, it may not always be the best way to go.
But that really depends on how much you prize your privacy and how trusting you are of other people’s motives. If you have a grocery store discount card, do you think the store would use your shopping habit data any more responsibly than people who come across your Line QR code? Inquiry mind wants to know.