How To Make a Photo Collage as an Instagram Post
A lot of Instagram users utilize photo collage as a storytelling tool. Nowadays, not only regular people share their personal stories but also big commercial brands.
A collage makes your post more informative and eye-catching by combining multiple images into a single image.
Luckily, making a photo collage on Instagram is fairly easy. You can use Layout, a built-in Instagram extension, or various third-party apps. This article will go over the easiest way, i.e. Instagram Layout, to create a photo collage as an Instagram post.
First Step: Get Instagram Layout
Instagram Layout is the official Instagram app for making photo collages. It allows you to upload up to 9 images and arrange them in one of the many available layouts.
This native app is better than third-party collage apps for its security, which no other collage apps can match as far as Instagram is concerned.
So, if you want to create an effective collage with ease, you should get Instagram Layout. Here’s what you have to do:
- Open the Instagram app from the app menu.
- Press the ‘Add’ icon at the bottom of the screen (plus sign).
- Choose any image.
- Tap the ‘Layout’ icon on the bottom-right of the image (collage icon). A new window will pop up.
- Tap ‘Get Layout’. The ‘Play Store’ or ‘App Store’ should open.
- Press ‘Install’ (Android) or ‘Add’ (iOS).
- Wait for Layout to install.
The next time you open Instagram, the Layout app should start automatically. You’ll get a brief introduction video and instructions on how to use the app when you do that for the first time.
Second Step: Make Your Collage
After installing ‘Layout’, it’s time to try it out. You can make a collage easily by following these steps:
- Launch Instagram.
- Hit the ‘Add’ button (plus sign) at the bottom of your Instagram feed.
- Select one picture that you want to add to your collage.
- Tap the ‘Layout’ icon. Your gallery screen should open.
- Choose up to 9 images from the gallery.
- Tap on a layout that you like from the top of the screen.
- You can drag images to different segments of the layout, rotate them, and even adjust the border. If you tap on a single image, you can resize it. However, you can’t make it smaller than the layout.
- Tap ‘Next’ when you are satisfied with the collage.
- Add final touches to the photo before you upload it. At this point, you can treat it like any other Instagram photo.
- Upload your Instagram collage.
That’s it. Your collage should be on your news feed for everyone to see.
There are some additional tricks like the ‘Photo Booth’ option, where you can take 4 different selfie shots in a short time span and make a collage out of that. You may want to check everything out, including different layouts and numbers of images.
Other Third-Party Collage Apps
If Instagram Layout seems too simple for you, you can turn to plenty of third-party collage apps. These are the most popular.
- Unfold – Unfold offers sophisticated templates. Unlike Layout, all the images come with elegant frames which add a specific touch. This app has exploded in popularity recently. Some big-name clothing brands like Tommy Hilfiger have been to use Unfold to release unique templates and promote their lines.
- Storyluxe – This is an app that focuses on making your Instagram stories engaging. You can make awesome collages for both your feed and story. It also has some additional features that are worth a try. It’s only available for iOS.
- PicMonkey – With PicMonkey, you’ll get similar features to Instagram Layout. You can pick layouts and templates and customize your images. The main difference is that you can add effects to each image on the collage individually.
Collages allow us to tell a story in a single image. Now that you know how to make it for Instagram posts, you can tell a story of your own and share it with the world.
Depending on your style, you can either go with Instagram Layout or some other third-party collage apps. Some may point to the security of Layout as a verified Instagram extension, but the truth is there are other highly trusted collage apps.
Which one is your preference? Or perhaps you have a personal favorite collage app to recommend? Make sure to share with the community in the comments.