How To Make a Photo Collage on the iPhone
They say that a picture’s worth a thousand words. Well, a photo collage is worth several thousand words! And, yes, you can create a photo collage right on your iPhone.
Photo collages are a fantastic way to share more than one photo in a single post or share a story. There are hundreds of possible situations or scenarios where you will want to create and share a collage. Maybe you just got a new puppy, or just got a number of new outfits you want to show off. Whatever the reason, collages are a simple and easy way to do so.
While the iPhone does not have a built-in feature that lets you create a photo collage, there’s an app for that. Well, more like there are dozens of apps for that.
With dozens of apps for creating a photo collage with your iPhone, it can be tough to pick which one to use. We here at TechJunkie can help by narrowing down our picks to the three below, taking into account the following characteristics:
- Recent updates to the app: Many photo collage apps have been abandoned, and do not work well with pictures taken on the iPhone 7 or newer.
- High star ratings: The apps listed below have an average star rating in the app store of 4+.
- High number of star ratings: The best apps have a lot of users, so we ranked based on the number of star ratings each of these apps had received, meaning that a lot of people have used and rated all three of these apps.
- Free app functionality: Photo collage apps for the iPhone can be pricey, both to purchase and, after you buy it, to buy additional functionality through in-app purchases.
- Variety of photo collage layouts: The iPhone photo collage apps listed below come with dozens or hundreds of eye-pleasing options for laying out your pictures, ensuring you can find one that fits your images.
PhotoGrid Photo & Collage Maker
With tens of millions of users, PhotoGrid is one of the best choices if you are looking to create photo collages on the iPhone. The app comes loaded with over 300 different layouts, so you will never run out of ways to combine your pictures in fantastic ways that will impress your audience.
There are also a few different editing tools within the app that can make the photos in your collage even better. The app also has a number of stickers, backgrounds, and fonts to decorate your collages. Finally, the app is completely free, which sure helps.
If you’re an Instajunkie who loves Instagram, Photogrid is the app for you. It comes preloaded with photo collage templates for the infamous 1:1 Instagram ratio, as well as 16:9 to make perfect Instagram Story collages.
If you want one of the most fully-functioned photo collage maker apps on the iPhone, this is the app for you. Over 190 million people have used Pic Collage to make perfect groupings of their favorite photos.
The app includes a number of templates, ways to decorate your collage, add text, touch gestures, and more. The app also features a clean design and is very simple to use. Pic Collage also makes it easy to share your collages on different social media accounts.
The only downside is that Pic Collage is not completely free. If you want access to advance features or want to remove the watermark from your pictures, you’ll need to pay the $4.99/month subscription fee.
Photo Collage by Collageable
If you search for “photo collage” in the App Store, you’ll get a lot of results. Find the app made by “Collageable.”
Photo Collage includes hundreds of collage layouts, frames, stickers and body filters to make your photos look as good as possible.
Tips for making a photo collage on your iPhone
When you’re using these apps, keep in mind that a photo collage is not just a bunch of random pictures stuck together. Instead, the pictures should help you tell a story or demonstrate a particular theme. For best results, keep these tips in mind to make an outstanding photo collage that people will love:
- Use burst mode to take a sequence of pics, then use those pics for the collage.
- Tell a story from start to finish using your photo collage as the canvas for your story.
- Choose pictures that are all the same color or texture for your photo collage.
- Mix up-close pictures with distant scenes to provide the viewer with a sense of contrast.
While the three photo collage apps are great choices, there are tons more out there that you can try if you wish. They all have different features and options, so find the one you like the most, and roll with it. Most are free or very affordable, so switching them up or trying a few different ones is easy – and hopefully, you’ll end up with a few fantastic photo collages in the process.
If you enjoyed reading this TechJunkie how-to article, you might want to check out How To Search Through Text Messages on the iPhone and check out The Best Apps to Add Text to Photos on the iPhone – May 2019.
Do you have a favorite app for creating photo collages on an iPhone? If so, tell us about in the comments below!