Google Chromecast is a high-powered streaming device for the relatively low price of $35. Chromecast is one of the most affordable and, in my opinion, one of the most versatile streaming devices on the market. Also, Chromecast’s small form factor makes it extremely portable.
The Google Chromecast works with various platforms. We’vee previously discussed how to mirror your iPhone with a Chromecast. Today, we are going to look at how to use your Android smartphone or Android mobile device with the Chromcast.
Get the Chromecast App
You need to have Android version 4.4.2 or higher installed on your Android smartphone or mobile device to use it with your Google Chromecast.
- First, you need to go to the Google Play Store. Search for the Google Cast App. (It should be the first app listed out of all the casting apps.)
- Then, download and install the Google Cast app on your Android phone or device.
- Make sure that your Google Chromecast and Android phone or Android device are using the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Google Cast App.
- Under “Devices” in the Google Cast app, make sure your Android phone or Android device can see and communicate with your Chromecast device.
- If you don’t see your Chromecast listed, you may need to go through the setup process again, or you may just need to make sure you’re on the same Wi-Fi connection with your Android and Chromecast devices.
Mirror your Android Screen
Do you want to see your Android smartphone or tablet on your TV exactly as you see it on your device? Here’s how to do screen mirroring:
- Open the Google Cast app. Go to the top left in the search bar and tap on the three horizontal lines—the menu icon.
- In the Menu, tap “Cast screen/audio,” under Home.
- When the “Cast to” pop-up opens, select and tap on your Chromecast device to mirror your Android phone or tablet’s screen.
Remember, when mirroring your screen instead of casting, your device is using more power and you’ll want to plug into a wall outlet with the AC adapter that came with your Android device. This way, you won’t drain your battery.
Now, with either the Google Cast app or Chromecast-compatible Apps—such as YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and so on—you can cast to your Chromecast device as well. This is the preferred way to use the Google Chromecast. Casting sends whatever function—such as watching Netflix or listening to Pandora radio—to the Chromecast via your Wi-Fi connection and gathers the video or music directly from the Internet to output it directly through the Chromecast to your TV screen.
You can find a full list of Google Chromecast-capable apps in the Google Cast app under “Get Apps.”
You can use the Google Chromecast as a movie/video/photo/music-playing media streamer without paying an arm and a leg for the device. The HD output from the Chromecast is extremely impressive and the price is definitely within reason.