Current or potential Mac users of Microsoft’s Office 365 program should check their local Office for Mac 2011 installation for updates. Microsoft released update 14.3.4 for the productivity suite late Tuesday, and it fixes several bugs and adds new features related to Office 365 subscriptions.
Office 365 Related Changes:
- Enables retail users of Office 2011 to migrate their existing installation to an Office 365 subscription without uninstalling and reinstalling.
- Fixes an issue in which all updates during a coauthoring session with the PowerPoint Web App client come through as conflicts.
- Fixes an issue in which Mac users experienced poor rendering of Office 2013 shared documents. The Calibri Light font resources are now included with the latest update.
- Fixes an issue in which, upon startup, the user is prompted to reactivate the subscription when multiple Office for Mac applications start.
- Fixes an issue that causes an incorrect name to be suggested when you save a Word for Mac document to SkyDrive or SharePoint.
Standard Bug Fixes & Changes:
- Fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac not to prompt for credentials after the Kerberos token expires.
- Fixes an issue in which folder names with leading white-space characters are not accepted for Gmail accounts.
- Fixes an issue in which the discontinued XLIST command for Gmail uses the IMAP List Extension for Special User Mailboxes to detect special-use folders.
- Fixes an issues in which messages that are addressed to local contact groups in Outlook for Mac cannot be sent.
- Fixes an issue in which keyboards and remotes may lose control in a PowerPoint for Mac slide show.
- Fixes an issue in which Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 content may be lost when it is saved in PowerPoint for Mac 2011.
- Fixes an issue in which item searches in Outlook for Mac continue in the background after the user cancels the searches within the application.
- Fixes an issue in which messages that are sent from an account that is present in the Blocked Sender list in Outlook for Mac are displayed in Junk Mail instead of in Sent Items.
- Fixes an issue in which the wrong senders are blocked for certain kinds of accounts and account formatting in the Blocked Senders list under Junk Email Protection.
Of course, users of the standard retail copy of Office for Mac 2011 can also download the update to take advantage of the latest fixes and improvements. To install the update, either check for updates using Office’s AutoUpdate on a Mac or manually download the 113MB update file from Microsoft’s website.
Office for Mac 2011 was released in October 2010 and is the most recent version of Microsoft’s productivity suite for OS X. It is now combined with the Windows version of Office 2013 as part of the Office 365 subscription service, which offers users up-to-date copies of Office apps on five Macs or PCs along with online storage and collaboration tools for $100 per year or $10 per month.