How to Pair iPhone with Your Car
Today’s cars are packed with features that allow you to connect them with various smart devices. Most recent models support easy pairing, especially with tablets and smartphones.
iPhones are especially easy to pair with newer cars. If you combine the two, you can set up your own virtual assistant that will help you navigate the city, register voice commands, play music, or make hands-free calls.
If you own an iPhone, you can easily pair it with your car using a few different methods. This article will guide you through them.
Pairing iPhone and Car via Bluetooth
The most convenient way to pair your iPhone and your car is via Bluetooth. You only need to enable the Bluetooth settings on both systems. This will allow the car’s infotainment or audio system to discover your phone.
Step 1: Make Your iPhone Discoverable
First, you need to activate the Bluetooth on your iPhone. This will allow your car to find it once you’ve turned the pairing mode on. Just follow these steps:
- On the Home screen, slide from the bottom up to open the Control Center.
- See if the Bluetooth icon is greyed out or not.
- If it’s greyed out, tap to activate it.
This will prepare your iPhone for the next step.
Step 2: Start Your Car’s Bluetooth Pairing Mode
After you’ve prepared your iPhone for pairing, you should also enable your car’s Bluetooth. Since different vehicles have different ways of toggling this option, the best way is to check your car’s user manual.
Some cars have a button that automatically turns the option on and off, while others require you to navigate to system settings. If you have a car that supports voice commands, a simple “activate Bluetooth” command could turn the option on.
Step 3: Pairing the iPhone and the Car
Now that both your phone and the car are ready for pairing, you need to return back to your iPhone’s available devices list.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app.
- Select ‘Bluetooth.’
- Go to the ‘Other Devices’ menu.
- Find your car among available devices. Keep in mind that your car’s infotainment system doesn’t need to have the same name as your car. Sometimes it can be displayed as ‘hands-free,’ ‘infotainment,’ or other.
- Select the device. Most cars require you to input a passphrase or key before allowing you to complete the pairing. You can usually find this passkey in the manual. If not, you should be able to set your own passkey in the car’s infotainment settings. Optionally, you can look up for a default passkey for your car online.
- Confirm the key on your car’s control screen.
After a short time, the two devices should be paired and you should be able to play sound from your iPhone on your car’s speakers.
My Car Doesn’t Pair via Bluetooth
There are instances when your iPhone can’t discover the car’s infotainment system and vice-versa. If so, try these solutions:
- Restart your iPhone.
- Update your iPhone’s system.
- Check if another device is paired with your car.
- If none of the above works, contact Apple’s support service.
The infotainment system of your car probably won’t let you change settings while the car is in motion, mostly for safety reasons. So before you opt to pair them, you should make sure that your car is turned on and parked.
Pair with CarPlay
Almost all recently made cars support Apple’s CarPlay. This system allows you to easily connect your iOS device to the car, making your car’s display screen resemble that of an iPhone.
Currently, over 500 different models are compatible with the app and the numbers are constantly increasing. You can find all the available models on Apple’s official page. If your car supports CarPlay, follow these instructions:
- Link the iPhone with the car via USB cable.
- Start the CarPlay app on your iPhone if the car doesn’t automatically switch.
Some cars are compatible with wireless CarPlay. To enable it, simply hold the ‘Voice Control’ key on your steering wheel until CarPlay is set up.
If this doesn’t work, you’ll need to set up the wireless pairing mode manually. Make sure your car is in the Wireless pairing mode (you may use Step 2 from the previous section), and then follow these instructions:
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone.
- Enter the ‘General’ menu.
- Find ‘CarPlay.’
- Go to ‘Available Cars.’
- Select your car.
After this, you should be able to use the CarPlay without the USB cable.
Pair via USB
Although CarPlay offers a wide range of features, most cars with a USB port can pair with your iPhone without it.
Connect one end of the USB cable to the Lightning port on your iPhone and the other to your car’s USB port. Your car should automatically register the iPhone.
If your car doesn’t recognize the phone, access your car’s Source Control via the Settings on the display. From there, you can manually switch to the USB input. This will allow you to play the sound from your iPhone through the car’s speakers.
Consult the car’s user manual if you’re unsure on how to access the Source Control menu.
Keep Your Eyes on the Road
As you can see, it is very easy to pair your iPhone with the car. The CarPlay system will allow you to use it as your virtual assistant and prevent you from being distracted while driving.
Thanks to the voice navigation, and support of the voice texting, you can keep your eyes on the road at all times.
Do you find features of CarPlay useful or do you pair your car and iPhone via USB or Bluetooth? Leave your opinion in the comment section below.