Preventing Online Scams in 2019
Why do you need to focus on online security? Is there a foolproof way to prevent online scams?
Online safety is becoming more crucial with every passing day. New cyber threats are cropping up continuously, and each one of us needs to employ countermeasures to ensure a safe online environment proactively.
Irrespective of which website you are surfing, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you avoid falling prey to scams.
We have divided this guide to address three of the most common avenues where online scams prevail.
1. Online Casino Scams
Casinos have ventured into the online space in recent years, answering the rising demand for real money gambling services through online apps and games. If you want to make money, you need to surf a website that is safe, trustworthy, and credible.
Finding sites that provide safe and secure casino services can be challenging. Sites like scams.info check websites for online casino scams and offer an informative guide that lists all the steps you can take to ensure a scam-free online casino environment.
As a general rule of thumb, surf sites that are licensed and regulated and check the reviews of casinos before spending your money on their websites.
2. Phishing and Spoofing Scams
Phishing is the act of gaining access to sensitive data by unfair means. Spoofing involves fraudulent emails that look legitimate to trick people into clicking on malicious links or reply. Data security goes a long way to protect you online.
Cybercriminals often make a fraudulent website look legitimate to trick surfers into entering their sensitive information like credit card or bank account details. Nearly one-third of all online security threats originate by way of phishing websites or spoofing emails.
The following tips should help you prevent phishing and spoofing scams:
- Check the URL or web address and surf only secure websites.
- Stay alert and open emails received from trustworthy sources only.
- Be aware of your internet, email, hosting, and other service providers and how they contact you.
- Employ safeguards on your computer by tweaking the firewall settings, installing anti-virus software, and using spam filters.
- Never disclose sensitive data like account numbers, passwords, or PINS to unidentified sources online.
- Keep your browser updated, install an anti-phishing toolbar, and block pop-ups.
3. Online Shopping Scams
E-commerce websites have seen exponential growth in the last decade. Going to stores is being substituted by a few clicks on your mobile or computer. There is no denying the significant increase in convenience for consumers.
You need to be careful of misleading promotions and false deals on online shopping sites. For instance, you may see a great deal on a product on Amazon. You end up paying and then receive nothing at all or a counterfeit product. You should use the following tips to have a safe online shopping experience:
- If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be vigilant and check other sites. If a product is legitimately being sold at a significant discount on one site, other competitor sites will do the same.
- Check the reviews and rating of the seller you are buying from.
- Be aware of standard shipping time and do not buy products that take too long to be delivered.
There are many more scams online apart from these three. Check out this list of scams to know about the other threats you may face the next time you surf the internet. It takes only a few additional minutes to set up safeguards against online scams.
Protecting yourself from scams and cyber threats is of utmost importance.