How To Report a YouTube Channel
YouTube has grown from its humble beginnings as a random-video site into a content colossus, with more than 7 billion videos online as of 2017. With 1.3 billion users, YouTube is one of the largest Internet communities in existence. With that many people and that much content, it isn’t surprising that there some “bad apples” in the barrel. YouTube has created a solid system of rules and guidelines for content as well as for behavior on the site, but it is impossible for the company to enforce every rule without considerable cooperation and assistance from the user community.
If you’ve ever found an inappropriate channel that violated YouTube’s guidelines, you probably wondered how you could help get the inappropriate content off the site. In this article, I will show you how to do exactly that. I will show you how to report inappropriate channels and videos.
YouTube’s content is provided and uploaded by registered users. To keep things in line and prevent chaos, YouTube has had a strict content policy since the beginning. The guidelines have evolved over the years and the current version prohibits the following:
- Nudity and sexual content
- Harmful and dangerous content
- Hateful content
- Violence and graphic content
- Harassment and cyberbullying
- Scams, misleading data, and spam
- Copyright infringements
- Privacy infringement
- Posing as someone else (impersonation)
- Compromising safety of children and minors
- Additional policies (vulgar language, inactive accounts, encouraging TOS violations, violating age requirements)
The guidelines are somewhat vaguely defined, to give YouTube some wiggle room when deciding what content to allow on the platform. You can see the full list here.
How to Report a Channel on YouTube
If you’ve spotted a channel that regularly uploads inappropriate content, you should report it and help YouTube remain a safe place for all its users. Reporting a channel might have unpleasant repercussions for the owner of the offending channel, but the safety and integrity of the community should come first.
Reporting a channel is only possible through your computer. On the mobile app, reporting a video is your only solution, but more on that later.
Here is how you can report a channel that’s crossed the line – the steps are identical for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
- Launch the web browser on your computer and go to youtube.com.
- Make sure you are signed in.
- Browse for the channel you wish to report to YouTube.
- Once you find it in the search results, click on it. You can also just click on the channel name under one of its videos.
- Click on the “…” tab. You’ll find it below the channel’s cover image.
- Click the grey “Report” icon, shaped like a flag. It is located below the channel stats.
- When the menu expands, click on the “Report user” option on the bottom of the menu.
- In the “Report user” window, select the main reason why you’re reporting that particular channel.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Assuming you’ve picked a reportable offense, you will see a form where you can add more details. Fill out the form.
- When you fill it out, the reported channel’s URL will appear in the box at the bottom. Click the “Continue” button.
Once you submit your report, a member of YouTube’s staff will check the channel and give it a thorough review. In case the violations are serious enough, or if that particular channel owner has made similar transgressions in the past, they might lose the channel. Want to find a video using more specific search criteria? Check out our article on using YouTube search filters.
How to Report a Video
You can also decide to report a particular video instead of the channel that put it up. Reporting videos is simple and you can do it both on a computer and on your smartphone or tablet.
Follow these steps to report a video using your computer.
- Launch the browser and navigate to YouTube’s home page.
- Find the video you want to report and click on it.
- When the video starts playing, click the “Three Dots” beneath the player.
- Select the “Report” option from the drop-down menu.
- The “Report video” window will appear. Choose the reason why you’re reporting the video.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Provide additional information as prompted, specifically where the damage is on the clothing item.
- Click the “Next” button.
While you can’t report a channel, you can report a video through YT’s mobile app. The procedure is identical for both iOS and Android devices. Here’s how it’s done.
- Launch the YouTube app from your device’s Home screen.
- Browse for the video you want to report.
- Tap the video.
- When it starts playing, tap it once more to toggle the menu.
- Tap the “Report” option. It should be on top or near the top of the menu.
- Pick the reason why you’re reporting the video.
- Tap the “Report” button.
- Provide additional info as prompted.
- Tap “Report”.
YouTube is efficient about filtering out inappropriate materials, but it’s up to the users to police on another. Stay safe and help keep the web’s biggest tube site safe for others.
Do you market on social media? Check out this monster compendium of three great e-business books in one, and get ready to market your business online in 2020.