How To Report a YouTube Channel
Considering its size, it’s no surprise that YouTube has its fair share of bad apples. The rules and guidelines that the platform imposes on its users are well-crafted, but it would be impossible to consistently enforce them without help from YouTube users.
If you’ve stumbled upon an inappropriate channel that slipped through YouTube’s quality control, you should report it. In this tutorial, we’ll explore how to report channels and videos.
YouTube’s content is provided and uploaded by registered users. To keep things in line and prevent chaos, YouTube has had a strict content policy since the beginning. The guidelines have evolved over the years and the current version prohibits the following:
- Nudity and sexual content
- Hateful content
- Harassment and cyberbullying
- Harmful and dangerous content
- Violence and graphic content
- Scams, misleading data, and spam
- Copyright infringements
- Privacy infringement
- Posing as someone else (impersonation)
- Compromising safety of children and minors
The guidelines are somewhat vaguely defined, to give YouTube some wiggle room when deciding what content to allow on the platform. There are other things that can get channel owners and viewers in trouble, including vulgar language, account inactivity, encouraging other users to break the terms of service, etc. You can see the full list here.
How to Report a Channel on YouTube
If you’ve spotted a channel that regularly uploads inappropriate content, you should report it and help YouTube remain a safe place for all its users. Reporting a channel might have unpleasant repercussions for the owner of the offending channel, but the safety and integrity of the community should come first.
Reporting a channel is only possible through your computer. On the mobile app, reporting a video is your only solution, but more on that later.
Here is how you can report a channel that’s crossed the line – the steps are identical for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
- Launch the web browser on your computer and go to youtube.com.
- Make sure you are signed in.
- Browse for the channel you wish to report to YouTube.
- Once you find it in the search results, click on it. You can also just click on the channel name under one of its videos.
- Click on the “About” tab. You’ll find it below the channel’s cover image.
- Click the grey “Flag” icon. It is located below the channel stats.
- When the menu expands, click on the “Report user” option on the bottom of the menu.
- In the “Report user” window, select the main reason why you’re reporting that particular channel.
- Click the “Report” button. However, if you click the “None of these are your issue” or “Privacy” options, YouTube will redirect you to another page with further options.
- Assuming you’ve picked a reportable offense, you will see a form where you can add more details. Fill out the form.
- When you fill it out, the reported channel’s URL will appear in the box at the bottom. Click the “Continue” button.
Once you submit your report, a member of YouTube’s staff will check the channel and give it a thorough review. In case the violations are serious enough, or if that particular channel owner has made similar transgressions in the past, they might lose the channel.
How to Report a Video
You can also decide to report a particular video instead of the channel that put it up. Reporting videos is simple and you can do it both on a computer and on your smartphone or tablet.
Follow these steps to report a video using your computer.
- Launch the browser and navigate to YouTube’s home page.
- Find the video you want to report and click on it.
- When the video starts playing, click the “Three Dots” beneath the player.
- Select the “Report” option from the drop-down menu.
- The “Report video” window will appear. Choose the reason why you’re reporting the video.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Provide additional information as prompted.
- Click the “Report” button.
While you can’t report a channel, you can report a video through YT’s mobile app. The procedure is identical for both iOS and Android devices. Here’s how it’s done.
- Launch the YouTube app from your device’s Home screen.
- Browse for the video you want to report.
- Tap the video.
- When it starts playing, tap it once more to toggle the menu.
- Tap the “Report” option. It should be on top or near the top of the menu.
- Pick the reason why you’re reporting the video.
- Tap the “Next” button.
- Provide additional info as prompted.
- Tap “Report”.
As efficient as it is, YouTube’s content filtration system is not flawless. Therefore, it is up to users to report all inappropriate content that gets through. Stay safe and help keep the web’s biggest tube site safe for others.