How to Change Your Amazon Account on Roku
Amazon Prime Video or simply Prime Video isn’t restricted only to Amazon Prime members. This means that anyone who owns a Roku device can also benefit from the streaming app. What’s even better is that Roku devices seem to be highly compatible with Amazon’s streaming app and can easily deliver the highest resolution available.
But, there’s one major flaw and that’s not being able to use multiple accounts or even switch between accounts with ease. That’s right, there’s no sign out button. Here’s what you’ll have to do to switch Prime Video accounts on a Roku device.
Deregister Your Device
This is one of the easiest methods, guaranteed to work on most Roku devices, if you want to switch between different Amazon accounts.
- Launch the Amazon Prime Video app from your Roku channels list.
- Use the arrow buttons on your remote to highlight the Settings option in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Press OK on the remote to bring up the Settings page.
- Scroll to the right and select the Deregister your Device option.
- Hit the Deregister Your Device option.
- Hit the OK button to confirm.
- Hit OK again once you’ve successfully deregistered your Roku device.
- Launch the Amazon Prime Video app again.
- Select the Sign in and start watching option.
- Type in new sign in credentials and enjoy watching from a new account.
- Repeat the process when necessary.
Perform a Factory Reset on Your Roku Device
As you may know by now, Roku devices don’t store a lot of cached data. But, they do store login data locally on all Roku streaming players and sticks, whether they’re of an older or newer generation.
In order to delete login information, you could always perform a factory reset on your Roku device or Roku smart TV. This will also delete Amazon Prime Video login credentials and you’ll be prompted to type in a new username and password the next time you use the app, after the factory reset.
- Launch your Roku player.
- Press the Home button on the remote to access the Roku home screen.
- Select the System option.
- Go to Advanced system settings.
- Choose the Factory reset option.
- Select the Factory reset everything option.
- Follow any remaining on-screen instructions.
If for some reason you can access the System menu or if the image on your TV isn’t displaying properly, or if your remote is out of batteries, there’s no need to worry. All Roku players feature a physical factory reset button somewhere on the back.
The button can either be tactile or a pinhole button, in which case you might need a paperclip or tooth pick to press it. In either case, press and hold the button for at least 20 seconds or until your device starts flashing.
Release and get ready to set up your Roku device once again by following the initial setup wizard. This means inputting your credentials again, selecting a wireless network (if you’re not using an Ethernet cable), syncing your remote, etc.
Once the factory reset is complete and your Roku setup is also complete, the next time you launch your Amazon Prime Video app you’ll be able to use whatever account you have access to.
You can also use this method if you’ve bought a second hand Roku device. If that device came with someone else’s account and they can’t unregister the device for you, a factory reset will quickly solve the problem, as it won’t just unregister the Amazon account but any other accounts that may be signed in on other channels.
Small Perks That Are Annoyingly Missing
There’s much to praise about the Roku OS, Roku streaming devices, and even Roku smart TVs. It’s a very stable platform, compatible with many apps, live TV channels, and pretty much everything entertainment-related.
But, there’s still a long way to go in terms of offering users a pleasant experience. It’s often the simple things that are missing from Roku and other platform interactions. Something as easy to implement as a sign out button for Prime Video can’t be overlooked. Is this a deal breaker for you considering the support other channels get or not big a deal after all? Let us know in the comments section below.