Sad Quotes about Life and Love
If you’re reading this, it stands to reason that you are wallowing in a pretty rancid mood. We understand. As much as we all try to be sunshine and rainbows every single day, sometimes we have to be honest with what our heart is truly feeling. Sadness is a part of life, and if we’re here to experience the whole package, then there will be moments of grief, anger, tears, and longing. Sadness is an emotional state that everybody experiences, and these phrases and quotes might be able to help you feel a little less alone. At the very least, they’ll be perfect to set as a status or update on social media, so your friends and family can appreciate how you’re feeling.
Though it feels now like you may never be happy again, fear not: sadness will eventually turn into happiness . Sometimes it feels like life changes way too quickly, and sometimes, things happen too slowly. Remember, everything happens just the way it ought to– just like the day becomes night and winter becomes summer.
We won’t tell you not to be sad, because we understand that sometimes it is just a necessity. Sometimes, when you’re experiencing different moodes, you perceive the world differently, and you better understand your life and priorities. At the same time, it’s important to not become overwhelmed with sadness or spend too much time concentrating on the negative aspects of life.
When you’re in a bad mood, your friends may try to throw you some quotation about life in order to cheer you up – and while it may be annoying at first, try to remember that they’re coming from a place of love. After all, friends should always help us in a difficult moment and always support.
Here are some thoughtful words about sadness that might help you feel a little less alone in this big, bad world. If you’re under a black cloud, sometimes you need companionship to help you feel a little less like you’re drowning in emotion, and more like a human, experiencing a very human part of life – our collections of quotes is for you.
Sad Love Quotes
Among all the quotes about love, for some reason, sad love quotes are the most popular. Probably related to the fact that love is just a tumultuous affair, but more likely because there’s really no pain quite like heartbreak. Here are some words that might reflect the pain you’re feeling. They might also make the perfect update to express your feelings via social media, if you’re into that kind of thing!
- I will wait for you till the day I can forget you.
- It hurts to breathe, because every breath I take proves I can’t live without you.
- The saddest thing in the world, is loving someone who used to love you.
- There is no disguise which can hide the love that burns in my heart.
- Sometimes I just want to give up, go crawl under my covers and cry myself to sleep. Sometimes, it’s just the only thing we can do until the mood passes.
- I hate it when crying is the only way to feel better.
- There are two types of people in the world: those who prefer to be sad among others, and those who prefer to be sad alone.
- Tears are words the mouth can’t say nor can the heart bear.
- A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.
- Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart. ― José N. Harris
- Envy hurts exponentially more than heartbreak, because your soul was torn in two: half soaring with happiness for another person, half mired in a well of self-pity and pain.
- Ask me why I keep on loving you when it’s clear that you don’t feel the same way for me… the problem is that as much as I can’t force you to love me, I can’t force myself to stop loving you.
Sad Quotes about Life
Every person has such moments when he wants to be alone with himself and with his thoughts. At times like this, sometimes you need to spend some time ruminating on the meaning of life, and what it means to be alone. Here are some words that recognize this need.
- It’s better to be lonely then to be played by wrong people.
- Life is short, there is no time to leave important words unsaid.
- My two most hated words? “I promise.” There’s more to a promise than just the words being spoken.
- I don’t depend on people anymore because I’m tired of being disappointed.
- The hardest part in life is trying to hide the tears that won’t stop with a meaningless smile.
- Sadness does not come from bad circumstances. It comes from bad thoughts.
- And that’s when I know it’s over: As soon as you start thinking about the beginning, it’s the end.
- That is all I want in life: for this pain to seem purposeful.
- Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of triumph. And tomorrow is another day.
- It’s hard to hold on to something that you know would never be yours. Instead, you just have to learn to let go and face the fact that while good things never last…some don’t even start..
- It’s hard to wait around for something you know might never happen, but it’s even harder to give up when it’s everything you want.
- Why do people have to be this lonely? What’s the point of it all? Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why? Was the earth put here just to nourish human loneliness?
Famous Sadness Quotes
Sometimes, reading a phrase, thinking about its meaning, or singing the words of the same song, you suddenly understand that these words were inspired by sadness. It’s true that sadness, clothed in words, can be beautiful, and it’s also true that you are never alone in your feelings.
- Behind my smile is everything you’ll never understand.
- A marriage is no amusement but a solemn act, and generally a sad one.
- Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.
- Nothing thicker than a knife’s blade separates happiness from melancholy.
- There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist.
- Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.
- Tears are words the heart can’t express.
- Sadness flies on the wings of the morning, and out of the heart of darkness comes the light.
- Is it worse if we invented sadness, or if it was here all along, waiting for us in solitude of its own.
- The longer and more carefully we look at a funny story, the sadder it becomes.
- Sadness gives depth. Happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots. Happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going into the sky, and sadness is like the roots going down into the womb of the earth. Both are needed, and the higher a tree goes, the deeper it goes, simultaneously. The bigger the tree, the bigger will be its roots. In fact, it is always in proportion. That’s its balance.
- You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness. – Jonathan Safran Foer
Feeling Sad Quotes
If you’ve ever read your friends list on any social media platform, you’ll know that everyone has down days. The need to express publicly our feelings and emotions is worldwide- bottling these feelings in is a really, really bad idea (ask any mental health professional!) You wrote a couple of lines on the social network account about how hard it is to lose and how bad it is to feel lonely and suddenly, you’re not lonely any more, as friends and family members reach out to you to help you through your situation.
- You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you’re in the most sad, confused time of your life. You don’t fall in love with people because they’re fun. It just happens.
- Crying is cleansing. There’s a reason for tears of happiness and of sadness.
- It’s sad when you realize you aren’t as important to someone as you thought you were.
- The heart reeks of sadness and pain, while the face is just a mask for the benefit of others.
- What do you do when the only one who can make you stop crying is the one who is making you cry?
- They say follow your heart, but if your heart is in a million pieces which piece do you follow?
- Sometimes all you wanna do is stay quiet just to find out who cares about you enough to ask you why you’re being so silent.
- We tend to treat sadness as if it were something wrong. For those experiencing sadness, it can make them feel alienated. It’s important that we look at sadness as a normal part of life, and allow it to be expressed in a healthy way.
- To have felt too much is to end up feeling nothing.
- Sadness is also a kind of defense.
- I don’t understand why life keeps trying to teach me lessons I don’t want to learn.
- Write your sad times in sand, write your good times in stone.
- It hurts the worst when the person that made you feel so special yesterday, makes you feel so unwanted today.
Sad Quotes That Make You Think
You can share your melancholy by using our aphorisms, sayings, and pictures with captions. Sad quotes not only help others better understand the nature of this state of mind, but can also help you work through the myriad of emotions you’re feeling today.
- Everybody knows that something’s wrong, but nobody knows what’s going on.
- Walking alone is not difficult but when we have walked a lifetime with someone, then coming back alone is all the more difficult.
- At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart, but not in your life.
- The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy.
- I close my eyes and dream of a time when I wasn’t all alone.
- Sometimes your eyes are not the only place the tears fall from.
- It feels like every other part of my body has broken away from the shattering of my heart.
- Yes, I have trust issues. I’m the only person who hasn’t let me down.
- I don’t want any more of this try, try again stuff. I just want out. I’ve had it. I am so tired.
- I had to stop, because I had everything and I was absolutely broken inside. I kept it all together enough to where I would never let you down, but I kept it too much together to where I let myself down.
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.
- Depression is like a heaviness that you can’t ever escape. It crushes down on you, making even the smallest things like tying your shoes or chewing on toast seem like a twenty-mile hike uphill. Depression is a part of you; it’s in your bones and your blood.
Short Sad Sayings
When you’re feeling less than cheerful, some short-but-sad quotes will completely convey your current mood to those who might reach out to you via social media. If you need to find the right short sad sayings, in order to show that you’re feeling upset, then you have come to the right place.
- Emptiness feels so heavy.
- It’s sad to be happy alone.
- It seems to me that the harder I try the harder I fall.
- They ignore you until they need you.
- Being ignored, worst feeling ever.
- Life goes on… with or without you.
- Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
- I never stopped loving you, I just stopped showing it.
- Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.
- People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.
- When all is said and done, grief is the price we pay.
- Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.
Really Sad Quotes
Sometimes we all want attention and support, but sometimes it’s really hard to specifically ask for help. At the same time, it’s never good to just hold all those emotions inside. As a result, some people write Facebook statuses (or alternatively a couple of lines on Twitter) when they want their friends to respond with encouraging comments and advice.
- I feel so miserable that I can’t be around normal people without making them miserable, too.
- Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again. Skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts.
- I love crying in the rain. Because when i do, no one can hear the pain.
- The ones that you love the most are usually the ones that hurt you the most!
- Breathing is hard when you cry so much.
- I love photographs because they never change – even if the people in them do.
- I wish it would rain all day, maybe that would make the pain go away.
- Welcome to the world. You will hurt the people you love the most. You will say stupid things and embarrass yourself repeatedly. You will crash your car and lose your wallet before the bill comes. You will get sick, sad and lonely.
- For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.”
- Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect.
- Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.
- Nobody understands another’s sorrow, and nobody another’s joy.
Sad but Happy Quotes
People often use quotes to express their mood, for example, in social networks and personal blogs, or just to share them with friends. Sometimes, though, these eloquent turns of phrase are able to capture the fleeting nature of a foul mood, and inspire us to feel just a little bit better than we did before.
- Music is better than girls, because girls cause problems that music fixes.
- The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
- Stay strong, make them wonder how you’re still smiling.
- Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.
- I smile not for that I am happy, but sometimes I smile to hide sadness.
- Temporary happiness isn’t worth long term pain
- I’ll fake all the smiles, if it stops all the questions.
- A big part of letting go is recognizing when it is time to stay in a situation and when it is time to move on.
- I still find myself feeling sad about the things that don’t even matter anymore.
- When I cry about one thing, I end up crying about everything that’s messed up in my life.
- Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.
- Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.
Deep Sadness Quotes
These deep sadness quotes will help you to express in one sentence all that you’ve accumulated in your heart and what is bursting outward. Such quotes can encourage us to think more about our lives and about such eternal concepts as love, loneliness, pain, and separation- the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- People cry not because they are weak, It’s because they’ve been strong for too long.
- It’s sad how people become what they had promised they never will.
- It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.
- Don’t trust too much, don’t love too much, don’t care too much because that ‘too much’ will hurt you so much!
- It’s hard to wait around for something that you know might not happen but it’s even harder to give up, when you know it’s everything you ever wanted.
- I’m not okay, I’m just good at pretending I am.
- There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy. – Dante Alighieri
- Sometimes your eyes are not the only place the tears fall from.
- There is a distinct, awful pain that comes with loving someone more than they love you.
- The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain.
- Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day.
- There is no point treating a depressed person as though she were just feeling sad, saying, ‘There now, hang on, you’ll get over it.” Sadness is more or less like a head cold- with patience, it passes. Depression is like a body part- it’s always there.
Sad Girl Quotes and Phrases
Some girls like to place quotes and meaningful pictures in social networks and blogs to express their emotional status. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! The best sad quotations can really express some feelings that might be hard for people to convey in writing.
- It’s so hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.
- Behind my smile is a hurting heart, behind my laugh I’m falling apart. Look closely at me and you will see, the girl I am, it isn’t me…
- Missing you isn’t what hurts. It’s knowing that I had you that’s killing me.
- Your first love isn’t the first person you give your heart to- it’s the first one who breaks it.
- He is not the only guy in the universe, but he is the only that matters.
- Usually, people think that I’m a strong, happy person..but behind my smile, they just don’t know how much I’m in pain and almost broken..
- I think I’m afraid to be happy, because whenever I get too happy, something bad always happens.
- There are times when I think I want to disappear, but all I really want is to be found.
- Maybe she laughs and maybe she cries, and maybe you would be surprised at everything she keeps inside.
- I’m just so unbelievably sad and I don’t know why.
- One thing you can’t hide — is when you’re crippled inside.
- Sometimes you’ve got to be able to listen to yourself and be okay with no one else understanding.
Sad Inspirational Quotes
Sometimes, a little friendly inspiration helps set us back on track towards a healthy emotional status. These words can help us to feel less lonely, to believe that tomorrow will be another day, and to find the strength to move on.
- Never let the pain from your past punish your present and paralyze your future.
- Everyone wants to be happy. No one wants to be sad and in pain. But you can’t make a rainbow without a little rain.
- If you feel like no one cares about you, think again.
- Look in the mirror, because the person you see needs you more than anyone else.
- Some days are just bad days, that’s all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that’s just the way it is!
- Sometimes you just have to forget about that person you once liked and move on.
- If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
- There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.
- I love sad. Sadness makes you feel more than anything.
- Don’t give special place to any one in your heart. It’s easy to give that place away, but it hurts more when they don’t know the value of they’ve received.
- I’m trying really hard to keep it together, but I’m running out of super glue.
- A person can only absorb so much sadness at one time before the mind breaks down or deflects. — Elizabeth Weil