Can Samsung TV Play AVI Files?
Developed by Microsoft, AVI is an audio and video file format. As such, AVI files are larger than those of many other formats, and that’s why some devices don’t support them. To cut to the chase, AVI files aren’t compatible with Samsung TVs, which means that you can’t play them directly.
But don’t worry as there’s a way to convert AVI files to other formats and then watch them on your Samsung TV.
Before You Start
First, understand that converting AVI files can be a time-consuming process. That’s why many people simply watch AVI files on their computers. The size of the screen isn’t the same, but it can save you a whole lot of time.
If you still want to convert those AVI files for watching on your Samsung TV, here’s what you need:
- A computer or laptop.
- Leawo Video Converter (it’s free and available both for Windows and Mac).
- A USB stick with a lot of storage space.
Converting AVI Files
There are multiple AVI converters, and Leawo is one of the most widely used. Moreover, it’s free and easy to use. Once you download it to your computer, you can follow these steps:
- Open Leawo Video Converter.
- Add AVI files either by simply dragging and dropping them or by clicking on the Add Video button.
- When the AVI files are added, you’ll see the MP4 Video sign.
- Click on it and then click on Change.
- You can now select from hundreds of video formats.
- If you know which format you’d like to convert to, you can select it. For additional help, open the top menu, click on the Device button, and find your Samsung TV model. The program will then find the right format for you.
- When you’ve selected a format, click on the Convert button.
- Select where you want to store the files – you should select USB so that you can move them to your Samsung TV afterward.
- Click on the Convert button one more time to start the process.
Converting an AVI file might take a while, especially if you’re converting a whole movie or something like that. But it’s all set on your part. Just relax and let your computer do the rest.
Playing AVI Files on Samsung TV
Once the file is converted, everything gets easier. From now on, you just have to plug in the USB drive on your Samsung TV and play the file, just like you’d do any other file. If you haven’t done that in a while, we’ll remind you what you have to do:
- Insert the USB drive on your Samsung TV.
- Press the Home button on your remote control.
- Click on Source.
- Select USB as your source.
- Open the USB folder and find the file you want to play.
- Click on it to play it.
That’s it! As you can see, this part is much easier. If you have more AVI files, it may be a good idea to convert them all at once so you can enjoy watching them later without going back and forth. The only problem is that these files can take up a lot of space on your USB stick, so you may have to invest in one that has sizable storage space.
Is It Worth It?
Well, it’s up to you to decide whether it’s worth it. Many people don’t like to bother with video converters, and it’s perhaps understandable. If you’re planning a movie night with your family and friends, it can be worth setting aside some time and converting the video so you can watch it together on the big screen.
However, if you just want to watch a short video, it might be better to watch it on your computer. What do you think? Do you often use video converters and which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments section below.