How To See Deleted Messages on Discord
Gamers around the world use Discord to exchange messages, images, audio, and video content. While most Discord users are friendly and relaxed, some find it amusing to send hurtful, incendiary, or outright offensive messages to others. In that sense, Discord is no different from any other corner of the internet.
Discord allows its users to report abusive behavior, but they need to provide the details of the conversation in question. However, those who engage in abusive behavior often delete their messages minutes or even seconds later, thus preventing you from even taking a screenshot. Many Discord users are wondering if there is a way to access deleted messages on the platform.
This article will answer that question, as well as explain how you can deal with harassment on Discord.
Can You See Deleted Messages on Discord?
Unfortunately, once a message has been deleted by the sender, there is no official way to retrieve it. This was confirmed in early 2018 by Discord’s engineers on their official Twitter account.
For one, storing deleted messages would be against the rules of the platform and would breach the privacy of its users. Furthermore, the way the platform is constructed – similar to the classic Internet Relay Chat (IRC) – doesn’t allow owners access to their users’ private communication. So, as soon as a user deletes a message, that message is immediately wiped from Discord’s servers.
However, Discord is very customizable with Bots so we’ll review those in a moment. First, let’s cover what you can do within the native Discord app to deal with nuisance users.
How to Report Online Harassment on Discord
If by any chance the message in question hasn’t been deleted, you can report the abusive message and its sender to the Discord support team. All you need to do is press the red “Report” button on your mobile app.
On a desktop computer, the process is a bit complex as there is no “Report” button. Instead, you need to collect a few ID numbers, write them down, and send them to the Discord team via a report form.
Here is what you need to do:
- In the bottom-left corner of the screen, click on the gear icon to access Settings.
- Click on “Appearance” and then look for the “Advanced” section.
- Toggle the switch next to “Developer Mode” to on.
- Find the message you want to report, right-click on the user’s name, and select “Copy ID”. Since you’ll be copying a few more IDs, paste this in a text document and save it before moving on.
- Next, you will need the ID of the message itself. The process is almost the same: right-click anywhere on the message, select “Copy ID”, and paste that ID in the same document.
- Finally, you need the ID of the server where the abuse happened. Again, you will have to right-click on the server name, select “Copy ID”, and paste it to the same document. Make sure that all three IDs are labeled correctly (User ID, Message-ID, Server ID), and proceed to the next step.
- Go to Discord’s official request form and select “Trust & Safety” from the dropdown menu. Enter your email address in the designated form, and proceed to fill out the rest of the form.
- Under “Report Type” select “Harassment” or whatever other option you find appropriate. In the “Subject” field below, write “Abusive behavior report” or something along those lines.
- Paste all three clearly labeled IDs in the “Description” box below and add any other note you may have. You can also use the “Attachment” field below to attach a screenshot.
- Upon completing the form, check the reCAPTCHA box at the bottom to confirm that you’re not a robot and click “Submit”. Your request will be sent to the Discord support team and you’ll receive a reply via email as soon as it has been processed and dealt with.
Can You Report a Deleted Message?
Discord’s support team needs all three of these IDs to process your request and take appropriate measures against the author of the abusive message. As such, whenever you receive an improper message, you should immediately record all three IDs and take a screenshot of the message.
Even if the message gets deleted, as long as you have the server ID and the user ID, you can still report it and attach the screenshot as proof. You can either use the official form or send an email to [email protected].
Changing a username on Discord is very easy and online harassers tend to do it often, which is why you must submit the user’s ID along with your screenshot. If you fail to do so, you can still try to submit a report, but the support team may not be able to identify the sender and take appropriate action.
If you’re tired of the ill-intended content on your own server (or one that you oversee) and would like an easier way to capture the content than snapping screenshots there’s a bot for that. You can make the channel ‘Read Only,’ but that takes all of the fun out of it. Bots really make the Discord experience customizable and more enjoyable.
Let’s say you’re really into your game and a known troll pops up on your Discord server. You can either stop what you’re doing, capture a quick screenshot, and report it, or you can use a bot that does let you go back to the deleted messages in your server.
One of the more popular Discord Bots, Dyno Bot has an action log feature. If you’ve ever used a bot before it’s likely that you already have this one so we’d like to mention the Action Log.
Dyno Bot has premium paid features and free ones. To keep a record of messages, the free version will keep the last ten messages while the premium service saves 100. Keep in mind that the Dyno bot does not save images or tell you who deleted the message.
All you need to do is visit a web browser and go to this website. Sign in using your Discord credentials. On the left-hand side, click ‘Action Log’ after choosing which server you’re managing.
Toggle ‘Enable Module’ on.
Next, choose the actions you want to log from the list. For the purposes of this article, we’re going to choose the ‘Messages Deleted’ option but feel free to choose any others you’d like to use as well.
Just remember, if you’re using the free version, you’ll need to be quick about accessing the logs. Otherwise, as other members chat you’ll lost the deleted ones.
Logger seems to be an excellent resource for those who would like to keep logs of messages on their own servers. More tech-savvy users can create their own, but this one has great reviews and promotes itself to focus on logging information.
Adding a bot to your Discord server is incredibly simple. Depending on the source, click on the ‘Get’ or ‘Invite’ options and proceed through the verification steps.
Once your bot is ready; head over to the Discord app or web browser and access your server. Tinker with the settings and ensure the bot is working properly before relying on it solely for automation.
Muting a Channel
If you’re not an administrator of the server that’s experiencing harassment, you’re not completely out of options on Discord. When server admins aren’t doing anything to stop annoying content or to deter it, you can mute the channel for a bit. There are a lot of reasons you may want to recover deleted messages, but if it’s due to annoying or offensive content, this is another option available to you.
Simply navigate to the channel and click on the bell icon (located in the upper right-hand corner). Clicking the bell mutes that specific channel. Doing this means you can continue playing your game or doing the things you enjoy without interruption. If you’ve already reported the user, muting the channel until Discord handles it is an ideal way to protect your inner peace.