If you’re only just starting to play Fortnite, you’re a little late to the party. Regardless, this fun popular game can be played by anyone. And one of the first things you should learn in Fortnite is how to send a message and communicate with others.
No matter if you’re using a console or a PC, you can send messages on Fortnite. There’s also an in-game voice chat you can use with your friends. Epic Games even added a new feature, Party Hub, which can be used for chatting on your mobile.
Read on to find out everything about Fortnite messaging.
How Does Messaging Work in Fortnite
Fortnite isn’t exactly a new game anymore, therefore, everyone expects you to know all about it already. If you’re just starting to play, this can be frustrating. This guide won’t teach you how to play Fortnite, but it will teach you something equally important.
Communication is key in multiplayer games; it can often be the difference between victory or defeat. People who don’t communicate well with others usually lose more games. Nobody likes losing, so let’s learn about messaging in Fortnite.
Basically, there are three types of chatting in Fortnite. You can directly chat with a friend (whisper), you can text chat with your party members, or you can voice chat with them.
Setting Up Chat Options in Fortnite
First, you need to set up desired shortcuts for chat commands in Fortnite. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the game on PC and click on the hamburger menu (the three lines) in the top-right corner of your screen. Click on the cog icon (Settings).
- Next, click on the Input option. Scroll down nearly to the bottom, until you see Chat.
- Choose the Chat button, the default one is Enter.
- You can change the Quick Chat button too, this is used for replying quickly.
- Then scroll all the way down, and change the Push to Talk button, if you want to use voice chat.
After that, you can go to the Audio tab in the Settings menu and adjust the voice chat volume, and other audio settings. Now you’re ready to chat with your friends.
How to Send Messages in Fortnite
Follow the steps below to message friends in Fortnite:
- Log into Fortnite with your account.
- When the game starts, click on the Friend List icon (next to the hamburger menu).
- Select the person you want to message and click on Whisper. Type in your message and press Enter to send.
- Alternatively, you can invite this person to your party. Select their name and click on Invite to Party instead of Whisper.
- Type your message and press Enter. All party members will see it.
Parties in Fortnite can have up to four players at a time. You can message each other in-game using the party chat, or in the game lobby until you find a match. Other people in the game who aren’t party members won’t see your messages.
There’s no All Chat in Fortnite, meaning that you can’t message any person on the game server.
Fortnite Voice Chat
The same applies to voice chat, only your party members can hear you in-game. To use voice chat, follow these steps:
- Invite one or more people to your party using the previously mentioned steps.
- Press and hold the assigned voice chat button on your keyboard or controller.
- Speak into the microphone. Your team will instantly hear you, but enemies won’t.
Using voice chat is very important in video games, perhaps more important than text messaging. It’s simply the most effective way of quickly relaying information to your team. If you see an enemy, report their position so your team can help you.
If you don’t like Fortnite’s native voice chat, perhaps consider using Discord or other voice chat software for better communication with your friends or teammates. The shy or those who don’t like talking in-game can mute voice communication in Fortnite using the Audio settings.
Fortnite Party Hub
The newest addition to communication in Fortnite is the Party Hub app. You need to download it to your mobile, so you can use it before starting a game (or even during a game). Party Hub is an exclusive mobile feature, so if you’re not interested in Fortnite on mobile, or don’t have a good enough phone to support it, this feature won’t be useful to you.
Party Hub only offers voice chat for now (November 2019), so those who prefer text messaging won’t benefit from it either. It’s an interesting new project from Epic Games, but it still needs improvement. Over time, it will surely become more popular and more useful.
Chatting on Fortnite
Despite widespread beliefs, gaming is a very social phenomenon. Most people don’t like playing games alone, and the same applies to Fortnite. This battle royale is a raging multiplayer colossus that only keeps growing.
Now you know all the possible ways of messaging people on Fortnite. If you have any additional comments, post away in the comments section below.