How to Send a Message on GroupMe
Everyone has heard of Skype and used it at some point. However, most people don’t know that Skype has a less popular family member called GroupMe. The purpose of this app is to enable easy group messaging, and it does a fantastic job.
Even though it is overshadowed by many other messaging apps, GroupMe is worth checking out. It is completely free to use and it always will be. Another great thing is that you can get it on various devices running on Windows, Android, or iOS.
This app sports many different features besides group messaging. Learn all about them in the further text.
How to Install GroupMe
Logically, you need to install GroupMe first and then you can get to sending messages. If you are using a phone or tablet, you can download the official app for free from either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
This app also works on all Windows devices, including the Windows Phone, Xbox One, or any computer with the Windows 10 operating system. For any of these devices, download the app from the Windows Store for free.
If you’d rather using a browser to access messaging apps like GroupMe, you can sign up for an account at their official site. Use your email address, Microsoft, or Facebook account. For U.S. users, you can add your cellphone number to send and receive SMS via GroupMe.
You will need to verify your phone number with the PIN sent to your phone. This is the final step in the signup process. Now you can move on to messaging.
How to Create a Group on GroupMe
Finally, you can start sending messages on GroupMe. Follow these steps to start a group chat:
- Sign in to your account or open the mobile app.
- Tap on the blue message icon with a plus symbol inside it (at the top of your screen).
- Choose Start Group.
- Enter the name of the group.
- Tap on Create Group.
- You will get a pop-up telling you to add group members. Enter an account name in the field below to find somebody (enter their email address or their phone number in case they aren’t on GroupMe yet). You can add multiple people at once, just click on Add’ ‘x” members at the bottom of your screen.
- Once you have added the group members, you can finally start sending messages. Simply tap on the Send Message field at the bottom and type out your message.
- Click on the plus symbol at the bottom of your screen to create the group. Now you can communicate with other group members in real-time.
How to Send Group SMS Using GroupMe
Unfortunately, the group SMS feature is region locked to America only. This is a great feature for anyone who does not have a smartphone or access to the app. Keep in mind that data and message rates may apply.
Global SMS Commands
The following commands can be texted to the GROUP (+1 9734196864):
#help – For receiving a text with a list of every command
#new – For creating a new group linked to a specific phone number
Here is a list of commands you can text to the phone number of your group:
- #topic – to change the name of the group
- #add [name] [number] – to add a new group member
- #mute or #unmute – to block or unblock group notifications
- #remove [name or number] – to remove a group member
- #name [name] – to change your nickname
- #list – to receive a list of every group member
- #exit – to leave the group
How to Send a DM on GroupMe
Sometimes you don’t want all the group members to read your message. If you want to send a private message on GroupMe, follow the next steps:
- Open GroupMe on your browser or app.
- Select Contacts from the main screen.
- Choose the person you want to direct message.
- Type in the message and press send.
You can also send a private message to a group member within the group:
- Enter GroupMe on app or browser.
- Choose the avatar of the desired group.
- Click on Members.
- Choose the avatar of the person you want to message.
- Click on Direct message and it will open a separate one on one chat with them.
Users of SMS messaging are out of luck because they can’t send private messages on GroupMe.
The More the Merrier
Everything is better when you do it with your friends. GroupMe can be used either as a fun space for friends or a place for coworkers and clubs to communicate or organize events. You can plan a birthday party, a night out, or some other event using this app.
Besides sending messages, you can also share videos and photos, and your location. You can even send custom emoji and like your friend’s messages. Last but not least, you can even mute notification if they are too distracting.
Gives this app a try, you won’t regret it. Let us know what you think of it in the comments below.