How to Send a Message on MyChart
The digital era has brought us many great changes and benefits, and MyChart is without a doubt one of them.
This free online service is a secure way to take care of your health. Thanks to MyChart, you don’t have to pick up the phone every time you have a quick question, or even go to the hospital and wait for hours for a trivial matter.
Signing up is very simple. If you’re interested in creating an account, you should open the MyChart Login Page and ask for an activation code. You can get it at your primary care doctor’s – to keep the service safe, the code is never sent by email. The same goes if you need a new code in case you lose the old one or it expires.
What Can I Do via MyChart?
MyChart provides you with valuable insights related to your health. And it helps you save quite some time in the process. There are many things you can do using this service:
- Request an appointment to see your primary care physician
- Access your medical chart
- See your test results
- Check your vaccination history
- Request a prescription
- Check what medications you’re currently on
- Read about health from trusted sources
- See a summary of your hospital stay
- Send messages to your medical care team
MyChart, however, can’t connect you to the doctors who work at hospitals or emergency departments.
How Do I Request an Appointment via MyChart?
It’s not necessary to call your doctor’s office to request and schedule an appointment anymore.
MyChart has taken this process online – it’s easier and faster. After you make a request, your medical care team will soon send you a message to confirm. This message will contain the date and the exact time of the appointment.
Once you receive this message, you can confirm that the date and the time are fine and check the details whenever you want to. You can also cancel the appointment, provided it’s at least a day before. If it’s less than that, you’ll have to call your doctor’s office.
When Should I Send a Message to My Medical Team?
However, in some cases it won’t be necessary to call your doctor – sending a message on MyChart will suffice.
When is it OK to send a message to your doctor? If:
- There’s information in your electronic chart that’s not accurate
- You have a question on a health-related topic, but it’s not urgent
- You have a non-urgent question about your last visit
Your doctor will usually respond in 1 to 3 business days. You’ll also receive a message on MyChart, not to your email, although you will get a notification about a new message on MyChart. The company behind MyChart claims that it doesn’t share patients’ personal and health information on other platforms.
In all other cases, a visit or a phone call may be a better solution. You don’t want to take chances when your health’s in question.
How Do I Send a Message to My Medical Team?
If you’re sure you don’t need an immediate response, you can send your doctor a message on MyChart. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Log into your MyChart account.
- Click on the Messaging tab.
- Click on Ask Your Care Team.
- Type in your message and click on Send.
Your Messaging tab will show a drop-down menu where you can choose a service depending on your needs.
After you log into your account, some of these options may already be displayed on your homepage. This is another way to send a message.
- Click directly on the icon Send a message to your doctor’s office.
- Choose General Question or Symptom-Specific E-Visit, depending on what kind of question you have.
- Find your care provider on the list and select a subject for your message.
- Type in your question.
- If necessary, attach an image to your question.
- Click on Send and then go back to your homepage.
Your doctor isn’t the only one who’ll see your question. Before it reaches your primary care physician, the office staff will take a look at your concern and respond if they’re competent or have the authority. If not, they’ll forward the message to your physician.
How Do I Use Messages for Tracking My Daily Health Readings?
To start tracking your readings, you’ll first have to receive a request from your doctor.
To start this MyChart feature, do the following:
- Click on the Messaging tab.
- Click on the message from your doctor.
- Open the link in the message.
- A flowsheet will appear so click on the name to open it.
- Click on Add New Data tab.
After this, you’ll be able to start tracking your daily health readings. No need to send your doctor any messages – they will automatically receive any updates.
Created by Epic, the Company Behind Epic Medical Records
MyChart makes your life easier and keeps important health-related information at your fingertips. Have you already used MyChart messages to get in touch with your doctor or request an appointment? Let us know in the comments below!