Does Snapchat Email You When Someone Logs Into Your Account?
With nearly 200 million daily users, Snapchat is one of the world’s largest social networking sites. It is among the favorite messaging and chat options in English-speaking countries. Countries with large numbers of users also include France, Portugal, India, Sweden, Norway, and others. Of course, like on any other big social platform, security problems and account hacks happen from time to time on Snapchat. While a nuisance to the platform, these problems might be downright catastrophic for individual users. How does Snapchat handle these situations? More importantly, does Snapchat emails users when someone logs into their accounts?
Can Someone Log Into Your Account?
In general, anyone could potentially log into most of your accounts if they happen to know your login credentials, and that’s true of Snapchat. If someone happens to have your login information, like your email and your password, they can log into your Snapchat account from another device anywhere in the world. When this happens, you will be logged out of your account, as Snapchat only allows for a single device to hold each account at a time.
Does Snapchat Email You When It Happens?
Any time Snapchat detects a new login for your account on a new device, you’ll receive an email from Snapchat alerting you to the activity on your account. You will receive the exact IP and the device brand and model from which your account was accessed. Also, the email will contain the exact date and time the login was done, as well as the approximate location-based on the IP address.
The email will also contain the link to the page on Snapchat’s official support site with the instructions on how to change your password. Lastly, the email will contain a link to the support page where you can learn about the actions to take if you suspect your account has been hacked.
How to Tell Your Account Has Been Hacked
An email informing you that your account has been accessed from an IP and device unknown to you is a tell-tale sign that it’s been hacked. However, there are several other ways you can tell that your account’s security has been compromised.
- Spam and strange messages are being sent from your account. If a friend tells you they received a strange message from you, it is most likely that someone’s fiddling with your account.
- You have to log in all the time. Once you install Snapchat app and log in, the app should keep you permanently logged in. If you launch the app and Snapchat asks you to log in, your account might be hacked.
- Friends you don’t know. If you see friends you don’t know on your contact list, it is possible that someone else added them while logged in as you.
- Different email or phone number. If you find a different phone number or email address in your account settings, someone else might have changed them.
What to Do About It?
If you receive an email from Snapchat informing you that your account has been accessed from another IP or you notice strange behavior on your account, you should act as fast as possible. Luckily, there are several things you can do:
- Change the password. Go to the Snapchat log in page and tap the “Forgot your password?” button. You can choose to change the password through text or email. If you choose the text route, you will receive a verification code. Enter the code and tap “Continue”. Change your password and save it. If you go the email route, you will receive a link through which you can change your password. Once you receive the email, click the link (or paste it into the web browser’s search bar), type in the new password, and save it.
- Change the email. To change the email, log into your account. Tap “Settings” (the cog icon) and then tap the “Email” button. Tap on the email address, type in the new one, and then tap the “Continue” button. After that, type in your password and tap the “Continue” button once again. You will receive the address confirmation email with further instructions.
- 2-Factor Authentication. This step is for the users who would like to add an extra layer of security to their accounts. Open the camera screen in Snapchat and press the profile icon. Next, press the “Settings” button (the cog). Then, tap on the “Login Verification” button. You will be able to choose between an authentication app or text verification. Snapchat will offer Google Authenticator to both iPhone and Android users. iPhone users can also choose Duo.
Having your account’s security compromised can certainly be very upsetting. Luckily, there are steps you can take to make sure you have a safer and more pleasant Snapchat experience.