More than 150 million people use Snapchat every day around the world, and if you’re one of them then you’ve certainly noticed that on your list of friends, there are little icons next to people’s names. Have you ever wondered, what do those symbols mean? It’s simple! Snapchat uses certain emojis to tell you a little about your relationship with your friends on the Snapchat app. If you have just made friends with someone on the app, for example, the emoji is of a baby’s face (because you’re “baby” friends, get it?) Understanding these emojis is the key to keeping track of your snapping habits.
What Are Snapchat Emojis?
The emojis you select to apply to your snaps or message to your friends are up to you to choose, but the friend emojis are selected by Snapchat on the basis of certain criteria within the app itself. You can change which emojis are applied for each set of criteria, but you can’t just decide to move someone from one category to another; that’s automatic and up to Snapchat’s algorithms. I’ll show you how to change the emoji that’s associated with any of the criteria in the following list further down in this article.
What Do the Snapchat Emojis Mean?
Friend Face Emojis
- Baby – This person is a brand new friend.
- Smiling – This person is your best friend. In other words, you send him or her a lot of snaps.
- Sunglasses – You and this person have a best friend in common. Basically, you send a lot of snaps to the same person.
- Grimace – You and this person have a #1 best friend in common, meaning you both send more snaps to this third party than any other person.
- Smirk – This person is not your best friend, but you are theirs. In other words, they send you a lot of snaps, but you don’t reciprocate. Awkward.
#1 Best Friend Emojis
- Yellow heart – This means #1 best friends. You both send the most snaps to each other.
- Red heart – This person has been your #1 best friend for two weeks straight.
- Double pink hearts – This person has been your #1 best friend for two months straight.
- Fire – This indicates a snapstreak. You’ve sent this person a lot of snaps recently and they’ve sent a lot back.
- 100 – This is, essentially, the super snapstreak. You and your snapstreak partner have managed to keep a snapstreak going for 100 days.
- Hourglass – This is a warning that your snapstreak is about to end. Snap your friend to keep it alive.
- Birthday cake – It’s your Snapchat friend’s birthday today of course!
- Star – This person is popular. His or her snaps have been shared a lot within the past 24 hours.
- Sparkles – You and this person are in a Snapchat group together.
I Don’t Like These Emojis!
Not satisfied with the options above? You can assign new emojis to each of the aforementioned criteria. Just follow these steps to adjust your Snapchat label emojis.
- Open Snapchat.
- Tap settings icon.
- Tap Manage under Additional Services.
- Tap Friend Emojis.
- Tap an emoji to change which emoji is applied to its meaning.
Now you’re all set to find an eggplant next to your best friend’s name the next time you have a snapstreak going. Have fun! If you have any cute ideas for which emojis to use for which categories, share them with us below!