If your Sony Xperia XZ is having charging problems, this article will help you find the solution. There are a number of different charging problems that you may experience with your Sony Xperia XZ. Typically, problems can include the phone not charging at all, not being able to turn the phone back on after charging, and the “grey battery” problem, in which the phone is plugged into the charger and the gray battery icon appears, but the phone does not charge.
Typical Causes of Charging Issues
There are a number of potential causes for charging issues. Some of the most common include:
- Bent, broken or pushed-in connectors on the device or battery
- Defect in the phone.
- Damaged battery
- Defective charging unit or cable
Changing Cables and Chargers
The first thing to check if your Xperia is having charging issues is the cable and/or the charger. Try swapping out a different cable and/or charger and see if this resolves the problem. If the phone will charge with one cable/charger combo but not another, then the problem is almost certainly in the cable/charger combo, not the phone itself.
Reset the Phone
Sometimes charging issues are caused by the phone’s operating system software. In this case, all you need to do is reset the phone. We have a detailed guide to doing this here .
Rule out App Issues
It’s possible that charging issues could be caused by a problematic app on the phone. You can check this by booting the Xperia XZ into “safe mode”, where it will only load the basic pre-installed apps. This can be done using the following steps:
- Press and hold the Power button
- After the Sony screen appears, let go of the Power button then press and hold the Volume Down key.
- When it’s restarting, the Safe Mode text will be visible in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Boot to Recovery Mode and Wipe Cache
Some issues are caused by problems in the phone’s cache, and putting the phone in recovery mode and wiping the cache may resolve those issues. Check out this article to learn how to wipe cache on the Xperia XZ .
To boot to recovery mode:
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time
- After the phone vibrates, let go of the Power button, while still holding the other two buttons until Android System Recovery screen appears.
- Using the “Volume Down” button, highlight “wipe cache partition” and press the Power button to select it.
- After the cache partition is cleared, the Xperia XZ will reboot automatically
Close Background Applications
Slow charging can be caused by apps running in the background. The following will close apps running in the background:
- Hold the “Home” button and release it when you see the recently used apps screen
- On the task manager section, select “End all applications”
- At the top of the screen is a “RAM” option, select it and clear memory
Charging issues can be caused by a damaged charging port. Check the port for damage (bent or broken connectors), as well as for dirt or debris that could be interfering with the cable connection.
Have any other suggestions for resolving charging problems on your Sony Xperia XZ? Share them with us in the comments below!