You’re messing around on Facebook when a guy you like shoots you a Facebook message. He wants to know what you’re up to on Friday night. You’re not sure if you want to respond yet; you’re tempted to just pretend that you didn’t see it. You want to stop someone from knowing you read their message, but it’s too late. Next time he views your conversation, he’ll know that you saw it. How is this possible and is there any way to prevent other Facebook users from seeing when you’ve read their messages?
Facebook Read Receipts
Facebook has a system for letting you know the status of your messages. Of course, it also lets your Facebook Friends know the status of the ones they send you.
- An empty blue circle – Your message is in the process of sending.
- An empty circle with a check mark – Your message has been sent.
- A full circle with a check mark – Your message has been delivered. Your friend can now see it if they look.
- A small version of that friend’s thumbnail – Your friend has read your message.
Turning off Read Receipts
First of all, if you were to turn off read receipts, it would not prevent others from keeping theirs on and getting notifications about your messages. Turning off read receipts would only stop you from getting your own notifications about other people’s messages. And to be honest, Facebook won’t even let you do that much.
Thankfully, there is a workaround if you are using a desktop. There is no current workaround for the smartphone. If you are using a desktop and want to prevent others from knowing if you’ve seen their messages, complete the following steps:
- Go to https://apps.facebook.com/unseen-app.
- Click Login.
- Click Continue As (Your Name).
- Check your messages.
Always visit this URL when you want to view your messages in secret. Next time you won’t have to worry about that crush finding out that you’ve gotten the message before you want him to.