How To Stop Spotify from Opening on Startup
A couple of updates ago, Spotify began starting when you booted your device. Whether you’re using Windows or a Mac, Spotify would start along with your computer. It never used to do this and is one of the more annoying features of the program. Just as well it’s easy to stop Spotify from opening on startup then!
As the most popular legal music streaming service in the world, it is likely that I’m not the only one who wants to stop Spotify from opening on startup. As Mac is much better than Windows at preventing programs adding themselves to startup, I’ll cover that first. Then I’ll cover Windows and go on to stop any other program adding itself to Windows startup too.
Stop Spotify from opening on startup on a Mac
Mac OS is usually pretty good at not letting programs take over your computer. In this instance, it does allow Spotify to ask you if it can add itself to the automatic startup list. When you first install Spotify, you should see a popup asking you if you would like it to boot automatically with Mac OS.
It is good news is that Mac OS forces the app to request permission first. If, like me you share your computer and somebody else accepted that kind offer to start whenever you boot your computer, you can turn it off.
- Open Spotify on your Mac.
- Select the down arrow in the top right and then Settings.
- Select Startup and Window Behavior.
- Set the toggle next to Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer to off.
The next time you start your Mac, Spotify should not load. It won’t ask to start with your computer again either. If it does start, recheck those settings. I had to do it twice for some reason before the change stuck. That could just have been me not doing it correctly. Either way, after another reboot, Spotify stops loading. I can now just open it when I want it rather than when it wants to.
If you would like more control over the startup applications on your Mac, here is what to do.
- Navigate to System Preferences and Users & Groups.
- Select the Login items tab.
- Select the lock icon in the bottom and log in using your Apple ID.
- Uncheck the box next to a particular item to remove it from startup.
You can also add Spotify to startup items if you want. Select the ‘+’ icon at the bottom of that window and select the app from the list and select Add. You can also select an app in Dock, right click and select it to automatic start. Either way gets you what you want.
Stop Spotify from opening on startup in Windows
Windows lets any program add itself to startup and can be a real pain. If a program doesn’t take up many resources and doesn’t slow boot down it’s not an issue. If an app has an annoying splash screen, uses a lot of memory or slows down the boot time then it is an issue.
To remove Spotify from startup in Windows:
- Open Spotify in Windows.
- Select Edit in the top menu and then Preferences.
- Select Show Advanced Settings and Startup and Window Behavior.
- Toggle Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer to off.
The next time you boot your computer Spotify should not start. Unlike on Mac OS, it worked first time in Windows for me. That could have been user error, but either way the end result is the same.
If you want to have more control over what starts when you boot Windows, follow these next steps.
- Right click an empty part of your Windows Task Bar.
- Select Task Manager and then the Startup tab.
- Select the Status tab to sort Enabled at the top. Enabled are those programs allowed to start with Windows.
- Right click a program and select Disable.
- Rinse and repeat for any app you don’t want to automatically start with Windows.
You should ideally remove as many apps as you can from the startup list. Make sure to keep antivirus, firewall, security apps and any drivers enabled. Everything else is optional. Add programs if you want to or remove them as you see fit. Depending on whether you’re using an SSD or HDD, you could see a significant difference in boot times once you remove a few of those programs from startup!
That’s how to stop Spotify from opening on startup. Got any other Spotify tips you would like to share? Tell us about them below if you do!