For many people, there is a sense of hypocrisy about receiving well wishes on their birthday from people they hardly know. Facebook notifies all your friends of your birthday by default, which doesn’t help this matter. Beyond the perceived insincerity, there are good reasons to hide your birthday on Facebook altogether. Your birth date is a piece of data that identity thieves will readily look for, and maybe you just don’t want to remind people of your age.
Whatever the reason may be, stopping the notifications to your friend’s feeds is a simple process. In this article, you’ll learn to do it on the mobile app and on desktop browsers. Furthermore, if you’re fed up with receiving notifications about other people’s birthdays, you can learn to remove that feature as well.
Turning Off Birthday Notifications on Desktop
The process won’t be too different whether you’re working on a desktop or mobile device. We’re starting with the desktop process, but feel free to use whichever you have on hand.
The first thing you should do is log in to your Facebook account. You’ll land on your news feed. From there, follow these steps:
- Click on your name at the top of the page, directly to the right of the search bar.
- On your profile page, click on the About button, right below your cover photo.
- In the overview of the About section, click on Contact and Basic Info.
- Scroll down to Basic Information and click on Edit, which appears when you hover your mouse over your Birth Date.
- Once you click on Edit, click on the group icon, which looks like a silhouette of three people. This will reveal the privacy menu, where you can select who can view your birthday as well as who will receive notifications about it. If you want to completely hide it, select Only Me.
- Click the Save Changes
By following these steps, you’ve effectively made your birthday invisible to Facebook users other than yourself. No one will receive notifications about your birthday, nor will anyone be able to see it. Now, on to the mobile version.
Turning Off Birthday Notifications on Mobile
You’re going to start the process this time by launching the Facebook app on your phone. The app isn’t required, and you can use the steps outlined above in a mobile browser as well. Once the app is launched, follow these steps:
- The first page you see is your news feed. Tap on your profile picture, which is to the left of the search bar.
- On your profile page, tap on the button labeled Edit Profile.
- Scroll all the way down on the editing page and tap on Edit Your About Info.
- Under Basic Info, find your birthday and tap on the pencil icon next to it.
- Click on the group icon next to your birthday to reveal the privacy menu and select Only Me. You may have to tap on More Options if the option isn’t displayed.
As you can see, the two procedures are similar, and neither should take more than a minute to complete. Now, if you don’t want to receive notifications about other people’s birthdays, you can turn that off as well.
Turning Off Friends’ Birthday Notifications
Sometimes a birthday notification creates a sense of obligation to respond, and that can get irritating. To stop receiving notifications for birthdays, access your Facebook settings page. You can do this by clicking the down arrow on the top bar of your Facebook page or by accessing the Settings page directly.
Click on Notifications in the left sidebar menu and scroll down to Birthdays. Expand the Birthdays section and toggle off notifications. You will no longer receive any notifications about birthdays from Facebook.
Happy Birthday to You, and Only You
Turning off or hiding your birthday on Facebook serves many purposes. The process is rather simple and straightforward. All you have to do is access your About page and change the privacy settings to prohibit access to anyone but yourself. You can do it from any browser or the Facebook app. While you’re at it, you can quickly turn off notifications about other people’s birthdays if you’re so inclined.
Why do you want your birthday to be hidden from friends? Do you think it’s a safety issue if people have easy access to your birth date information? Share your thoughts in the comments below.