AT&T, like many other big companies, has its own online TV streaming service. However, it also offers regular cable television. These services, called DirecTV Now and DirecTV, come with plenty of customization options.
All TV models and TV service providers need to support closed captioning, and AT&T’s services are no exception. Keep reading to see how to enable or disable captions on DirecTV and DirecTV Now, as well as how to make changes to your DirecTV account.
Show/Hide Closed Captions
To enable or disable captions on DirecTV Now, the online TV streaming service:
- Make sure you’re signed in to DirecTV Now.
- Go to the settings.
- Locate the Captioning section.
- Choose Edit.
- Select a language, then select View Style.
- Press Save Changes.
If you’re using a Chromecast to cast content with closed captions from a phone to a TV, you need to toggle the screen to be able to see captions on the TV.
To toggle the captions on DirecTV, AT&T’s satellite TV service, do the following:
- Take your remote control and press the Info button.
- In the menu that follows, keep going right until you locate the “CC” option.
- Choose “Closed Captioning.”
Note: DirecTV also has its own improved subtitle system, but it doesn’t work with all television service providers, which is why the standard closed captions option is still around.
DirecTV also lets you change the look of the captions. The font size and color can be changed, as well as the caption background. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press the Menu button on your remote.
- Choose Settings.
- Find the Accessibility option and press Select.
- To change a setting, press the Select button. To scroll along with the settings, use the arrow keys.
- When you’re finished, press Exit to return to the TV playback.
This feature will likely work fine on most, if not all, versions of DirecTV receivers. DirecTV has confirmed on its website that it works on the following models: H21, H23, HR20, HR21, HR23, and R22.
DirecTV Now Settings
The TV streaming service lets you change its settings from both your computer and your smartphone. However, you can only access all the settings from a computer. To access the settings, first, make sure that you’re signed in to DirecTV Now. You can open them by clicking on the gear icon. If you’re using the mobile DirecTV app, you’ll also need to go to the preferences afterward.
Keep in mind that DirecTV recommends Google Chrome and Apple Safari to access all the settings. If there’s a setting you can’t access, try switching to one of these web browsers.
The main settings options are Account Settings, Player Options, General, and About.
The Account Settings let you check your credit card and payment info, as well as make changes to your current subscription package.
Here are the Player Options – these all help further customize DirecTV:
- “Streaming Quality” lets you choose the video resolution. The options are Good, Better, and Best. Good is available only for smartphones.
- “Stream with Mobile Data” is an option for the mobile app that lets you stream DirecTV even if you’re on your mobile network (and not a wireless one).
- When you start DirecTV Now, the “Play Live TV on Launch” option plays the TV channel you were watching live before you exited last time.
- “Mute Audio on Launch” mutes the program altogether on startup.
- If you’re watching a TV series, “Autoplay Next Episode” plays the following episode as soon as the current one is finished.
- “Captioning” lets you format the closed captions to your liking. You can choose the font size, color, and type.
- “Audio Language” lets you choose the speech-language whenever possible.
In the General settings, you can enable or disable parental controls.
The About section lets you find all the info under Help, as well as the Terms & Conditions.
A Direct Approach
DirecTV is a good way to watch TV because it has both a satellite receiver and an online streaming service, offering many channels. DirecTV Now has a more limited range of channels and a lower price tag. When it comes to settings, both of them offer closed captioning and a variety of other options, so both should have your needs covered.
Which DirecTV service are you using? Are you satisfied with it at the moment? Let us know in the comments below.