How To Uninstall and Reinstall Chrome
Google Chrome is one of the most popular web browsers for good reason, but it does cause problems occasionally.
It can start crashing in the middle of the session or stop working altogether. Sometimes it will refuse to open, or it may display an error message when you open it.
When these problems appear, the best solution is to remove all the Google Chrome data from your computer and reinstall the browser.
There are different ways to reinstall Google Chrome. This article will explain some of them, depending on your OS.
How to Reinstall Chrome on Windows
To reinstall Chrome on Windows, close all your Google Chrome windows. Then, follow these steps:
- Press the Start button on the far-left corner at the bottom of the screen.
- Start typing ‘Control Panel’ with the Start Menu opened. When it suggests the Control Panel option, select it to open the window.
- Find the Programs menu and select ‘Uninstall a Program’. You will then see a list of programs.
- Find the Google Chrome icon, and click the Uninstall button near the top of the window.
- Make sure you check ‘Also delete your browsing data’ when asked. This will permanently remove all your bookmarks, history, cache, and other temporary files. Some of these may be causing your Chrome to malfunction, which is why they need to be deleted.
- Proceed with the uninstall process. Once you remove the browser completely, you can get the newest version online.
- Open another browser. You can use Edge, Microsoft’s default browser.
- Go to https://www.google.com/chrome/.
- Click on the ‘Download Chrome’ button.
- Wait for the download to finish.
- Go to the download folder and start ChromeSetup.exe.
- Follow the instructions and proceed with the installation.
If you followed all the steps correctly, you should have a brand new, working Google Chrome on your Windows.
How to Reinstall Google Chrome on a Mac
Reinstalling Google Chrome on your Mac follows a similar procedure:
- Open the Applications folder.
- In the Applications window, find the Google Chrome app. Sometimes it is in the original folder, but it may be moved to another directory, so you may need to look around.
- Click on the Google Chrome icon and just drag-and-drop it to the trash bin. This will remove Google Chrome from your Mac OS, but not your profile data. You need to do this manually.
- Click on the ‘Go’ menu and then choose ‘Go to Folder’.
- Type ~/Library/Google and select ‘Go’. A window will open with the GoogleSoftwareUpdate directory.
- Move the GoogleSoftwareUpdate directory to the trash. This will remove all your customizations, bookmarks and browsing history.
If you want to install Google Chrome again, you will have to:
- Open Safari or any other non-Chrome browser that you installed on your Mac.
- Type google.com/chrome
- Go to Download and then choose ‘For Personal Computer’. The website will take you to the download page.
- Choose the ‘Download Chrome’ button and it will start downloading the installer. You will probably need to agree with the terms and conditions before you start.
- When the file finishes downloading, go to the download directory and find it – the file name should be ‘googlechrome.dmg’. You may wait a minute or two for it to download everything.
- Just drag-and-drop the Google Chrome icon into the Applications directory. This should automatically install Google Chrome, making it appear in the Applications folder.
How to Reinstall Google Chrome on iOS
If you want to reinstall Chrome on iOS, you need to follow these steps:
- Tap on the Google Chrome icon and hold it. All the icons should start shaking after a moment. You should see an ‘X’ appearing on the top left corner of each icon.
- Select the ‘X’ and agree to remove Chrome and all its data.
- Press the Home button to return to the normal screen.
- Find the App Store in your app menu.
- Type ‘Google Chrome’ in the search bar.
- Tap ‘Get’, and then tap ‘Install’. This will download the app and install it on your device.
What about Android?
Unfortunately, uninstalling Chrome isn’t always an option. If your Android device already came with a built-in Google Chrome, then you can’t uninstall it and you’ll have to find a different way to fix any malfunctions.
Find out whether you can reinstall Google Chrome with these steps:
- Go to the Settings app on Android.
- Select ‘Apps’ or ‘Applications’.
- Find Chrome in the list and tap it.
If you can see the ‘Uninstall’ button, then you can remove the browser.
To reinstall Chrome, you should go to the Play Store and search for Google Chrome. Simply tap Install, and then wait until the browser is installed to your Android device.