How to View Hidden Games on Steam
If you have a bunch of games on your Steam account, you can’t play them all actively all the time. In such a case, it is natural that you hide the ones that you don’t play anymore. But what if nostalgia hits you and you want to revisit the old favorites that you moved to the hidden section?
Worry not, as this article will show you how to view hidden games on your account. We’ll also show you how to add and remove games to and from the hidden list.
How to View Hidden Games
Without further ado, here is how to view hidden games on Steam:
- Log into your Steam account using your credentials.
- Click on the View dropdown menu in the top-left of the Steam homepage.
- Select Hidden Games.
- A list of all your hidden games will appear.
As you can see, the hidden games collection works just like any other game collection on Steam. These collections are game categories you can create to arrange your games the way you want. The hidden game category is not a new thing. It existed on Steam for years, but most people haven’t heard about it.
However, Valve overhauled the Steam client recently, and they significantly polished the game library, which looks sleek now. The whole client is much more transparent and easier to use now.
How to Hide/Unhide Games on Steam
Here is a guide for people who still don’t know how to use the hide game feature on Steam:
- Launch Steam on your computer.
- Click on Library.
- Then, select a game you’d like to hide. In this example, we hid the original Counter-Strike.
- Right-click on the game, select Manage and choose to Hide This Game from the dropdown menu.
The game in question will instantly move to the hidden games list. If you want, you can remove the game from this list at any time:
- Start the Steam client.
- Click on View.
- Next, select Hidden Games.
- Choose the game you want to unhide.
- Press right-click, followed by Manage.
- Finally, select Remove from Hidden, and the game will disappear from the list.
While tinkering with the freshly updated Steam client, we found another way of accessing your hidden games. You can do it directly from your games library:
- Open Steam.
- Click on Library.
- Type in the name of the hidden game in the search field to the left, under Home. Make sure that the Games menu is selected.
- Then, click on the plus icon, left of Hidden.
- Your game should pop up, as shown in the example below.
This method is only useful if you remember the name of the game that you’ve hidden. The technique which uses the View menu is still a better choice in most cases.
Hiding Is Not Removing
Many people confuse hiding games on Steam with removing them. You can access the games you’ve hidden at any time. You can remove them from the hidden list, install them, and play them. However, the games that you delete from your account are lost forever.
Once you remove a game, there is no coming back. Here is how to remove a game on Steam:
- Log into Steam.
- Click on Library.
- Select a game you want to remove.
- Then, right-click on it, and press Manage.
- Finally, select Remove from Account. Confirm the prompt warning you that you will lose the game permanently.
You’ll notice that you can’t use the remove feature on all games. One theory is that you can only remove free-to-play games that you obtained for free via Steam promotions or other events. You can’t remove the games that you’ve paid for or received as a gift. The only way to get rid of them is to hide them.
Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Those are the tricks you can use to view, add, or remove games from the hidden games list on Steam. This category is a real lifesaver if you have a bunch of games you don’t play anymore. It’s also beneficial for game collectors with vast private libraries.
Have you recently wished to revisit your old favorites and give them another run? Have you managed to unhide them? Let us know in the comments section below.