YouTube Kids is one of the best options if you want to let your kids use the platform. Giving your child a Chromebook to enjoy YouTube Kids is also a great idea. However, the Chromebook isn’t your regular computer; it is great for browsing the web, viewing documents, etc.
Therefore, using the web version of YouTube Kids is the simplest solution. You can also download the Android app for YouTube Kids on the Chromebook if the laptop supports Android apps. The app will bring more options to the table than the website version, as well as a smoother viewing experience.
Read on for detailed instructions for both methods.
The Site Method
Watching YouTube Kids via your browser is a piece of cake on any device. The same goes for Chromebook, especially since it is running on Google’s Chrome operating system.
Here’s a fun fact – you don’t even have to sign in. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t. If you have a younger kid, you’ll want to customize their viewing experience to suit their age. Read on for instructions on watching YouTube Kids on Chromebook without signing up:
- Visit the YouTube Kids web page on your Chromebook and follow the instructions on your screen.
- Click on Skip when the page asks you to sign in.
- Read and agree with the privacy terms with “I Agree.”
- Select the content options suited for your child (preschool, younger, or older). YouTube’s age recommendations are pretty spot-on, feel free to choose based on them.
- Click Select to confirm the changes.
- Enable or disable the search bar (better off for younger children).
- Go through the parent tutorial on the site.
- Tap Done when you complete the tutorial.
Web Youtube Kids Sign Up
You don’t have to sign up for YouTube Kids, but we recommend that you do. Here is how:
- Visit youtubekids.com
- Enter your birth year and select to sign in.
- Log in if you already have an account. If not, click Add New Google Account.
- When you do that, click Sign In.
- Read the privacy terms and click Next.
- Set up an account password.
- Make a new YouTube profile. It is the viewing profile your kid will be using.
- Select the content options (previously explained).
- Enable or disable the search feature.
- Go through the parental guide.
- Select Done, and you are all set.
The App Method
The web version of YouTube Kids is very seamless and intuitive, but if you want the best experience, set up the Android app on your Chromebook. Here is how to do it:
- Make sure that you have the latest system updates for your Chromebook.
- Then, you need to enable the Google Play Store. Click on time in the bottom-right corner of the Home screen on your Chromebook.
- Click on Settings.
- Enable the Google Play Store (if you can’t see this tab, your Chromebook is not compatible with it, and you can’t use Android applications).
- Then, click on More, and read the TOS.
- Click on I agree, and you can begin using Android apps.
Now, you can get YouTube Kids from the Google Play Store. Some apps won’t work on Chromebooks, but YouTube Kids should (if your device supports Android apps). Follow the steps:
- On your Chromebook, and visit the Google Play Store.
- Search for the YouTube Kids app.
- Click on Install, which should be in the top-right corner of the screen.
- The app will download and install on your Chromebook.
When the app is ready, open it, and you will have to sign, just like on the web version. If you haven’t already, look at the instructions in the previous section and sign up for a YouTube Kids account. After that, customize your child’s viewing experience. Sign up is not obligatory, but it is beneficial.
Easy as a Pie
Watching YouTube Kids on the Chromebook is a piece of cake. Getting Android apps used to be much harder before, but now, they run smoothly on supported Chromebook devices. Getting the software updates is very important for running Android apps, including YouTube Kids.
If you need help with the Google Play Store setup, the updates, or you want to know which Chromebooks will support YouTube Kids, best visit the official Google Chromebook support page. You have all the answers you need right there.
Feel free to join the discussion in the comments section below.