How To Mention All in WeChat
Originally released in 2011 and available for Android, iOS, PC, and Mac, WeChat has quickly become one of the most used apps available today. With over a billion active monthly users, the Chinese super-app can be used for nearly anything, from simple messaging, to paying for your coffee, and even booking your doctor’s appointments.
Considering that a significant percentage of the people alive today are using the app, there’s a good chance that sooner or later you’ll be one of them. Like any app, WeChat has its own way of doing things.
When chatting in a group, it can be easy for your messages to get lost in the crowd. One method of drawing more attention is to mention someone personally. But when there’s a load of people in the group chat, mentioning everyone individually can take ages. Fortunately, WeChat has a method to message everyone in the group.
How to Mention All Group Members on WeChat
In this section, you will learn how to mention all group members at once on each of the platforms this app is available for. However, keep in mind that you can only message everyone via these methods if you are the owner of the group.
- Tap on the WeChat app to open it up. You can normally locate it on your home screen.
- Tap on the name of the group that you want to send the message to.
- Next, tap on the group icon in the top-right corner of your screen. It looks like two white heads and shoulders, one behind the other.
- Tap on the option labeled ‘Group Notice’.
- Enter the message you want everyone to see into the box. If there’s already something there, you can change it by tapping ‘Edit’ up at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the green ‘Done’ button at the top-right. This will make a confirmation window pop up.
- Finally, tap on the ‘Post’ button. Everyone in the group will receive the message and will be notified as if you had mentioned each of them individually.
- Open the WeChat app on your phone or tablet by tapping on the icon on your home screen.
- Next, tap on the speech bubble icon labeled ‘Chats’ at the bottom-left of the screen to open up a list of your current conversations.
- Find the name of the group that you want to send the message to in the list, and tap on it to open it.
- Tap on the group icon in the top-right corner of your screen. It resembles two white heads and shoulders, one behind the other.
- Tap on the menu item labeled ‘Group Notice’.
- Enter the message that you want to send to the entire group in the box provided. If the box already contains a message you had typed previously, tap the ‘Edit’ button at the top-right of your screen.
- After that, find the green ‘Done’ button in the top-right corner and tap on it.
- Finally, tap on ‘Post’ in the confirmation window to send your message to all the members of the group. They will all receive notifications as if you had messaged them all separately.
PC and Mac
- Open up your web browser and head to web.wechat.com.
- If this is the first time you have logged in via WeChat for Web, you’ll have to scan the QR code that is displayed. Alternatively, you can download the WeChat desktop application, which works the same way as the Web version.
- Find the chat you want to send a group message to on the left-hand side of the window. If you can’t find it, try using the search field at the top of the list of chats. You can search by contacts or the name of the group. Once you’ve found it, click on it to open the chat.
- Next, click on the three-dot options icon in the top-right corner of the chat.
- In the options menu, click on ‘Click to edit group notice’.
- Type or paste the message that you want to send to everyone into the Group Notice text box.
- Click on the green ‘Post’ button located at the bottom-right of the Group Notice window. This will open up a confirmation dialog.
- Finally, click on the ‘OK’ button to send the message to everyone in the group. They will each receive a notification as if they had received individual mentions.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen
Have you found a better way to do mention all on WeChat? Do you have any other questions about how to use WeChat or have some pro tips to share with the community? Be sure to let us know in the comments below!