Since launching in 2009, WhatsApp has been gradually adding features to the platform. In fact, users have become accustomed to getting something new with each update. There are lots you can do with WhatsApp when it comes to chats and group chats.
You can reply to a specific message or mention someone in the group. And you can also star messages you want to be able to find later. Starring messages is easy, and if you’re worried about being able to find them later, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered. This article will show you where to find them.
Finding the Starred Messages
If you’re an avid WhatsApp user, your WhatsApp conversations can probably be scrolled for a very long time. Even if you change your phone, WhatsApp backs up your data, so your conversations remain saved. Therefore, starring a message you want to go back to later, is an incredibly useful tool in WhatsApp.
Let’s say someone forwarded an email address you needed, and you’ve starred it so you can go back and see it later. But there were hundreds of messages sent after that, so how are you supposed to find them? All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the conversation you want.
- Tap on the name of your contact on top of the screen.
- Scroll down a bit and tap on the “Starred messages”.
- To search for a specific starred message, tap search feature (magnifying glass icon).
- Type in what you’re looking for. If you can’t remember all of it, start typing words you remember, and WhatsApp will scan the chat automatically as you type.
In case you’ve too many starred messages, and you’re not sure how exactly to find the one you’re looking for, your best chance is to just scroll and search by the date. It’s still much more likely you’ll find the starred message that way, than by going through the entire conversation.
Starring & Un-starring WhatsApp Messages
Finding the starred message is clearly not a complicated thing to do, but how do you star a WhatsApp message in the first place? And what are some of the main reasons people utilize this option? As mentioned, starring a message can serve as a reminder. In case you don’t have any other way to pin down a piece of information, this way you can effortlessly go back to it.
That’s on the practical side of things. However, people star their messages in WhatsApp for sentimental reasons too. Sometimes you don’t want a particularly lovely message to get lost in the sea of other, more trivial messages. So, you star it, to go back and ruminate on it at a later date. You can also un-star the message if the information or the content of the message is no longer valid. Here’s how you do it:
- Open WhatsApp and then open a conversation.
- Tap on the message you want to star and hold.
- When the message is highlighted, tap the star icon on top of the screen.
Now when you search the starred messages, that message will be there as well. When you’re ready to remove it from the starred list, the process is very similar:
- Open the conversation and tap the name of the contact.
- Select “Starred messages” and find the message you want to remove from the list.
- Tap and hold until the message is highlighted. Then tap on the star icon that has a line going through the middle.
Once that’s done, the message will no longer appear in the starred messages section of your contact’s profile.
Finding Media, Links & Docs
A big part of why WhatsApp is so widely used is that you can use it to send pictures, videos, gifs, links, and all kinds of documents. All of these items can be starred as well, and then placed on the starred list. But you can also search for photos, videos, documents, and links that you’ve shared with each recipient. And then star them or delete them. Here’s where to find them:
- Open WhatsApp and a specific conversation.
- Just under the recipient’s name and profile photo, you will see “Media, links, and docs”.
- Tap on that, and then you will see three categories of exchange media, links, and docs.
- Toggle between each to scroll through and find what you’re looking for.
You can tap and hold a specific link, photo, or document in order to star or delete it. You can also forward each item or copy and paste it elsewhere.
Searching for All the WhatsApp Stars
That feeling you get when you know that the information you need is there, but you just can’t find it can be quite frustrating. With just a few taps on the screen, starring messages can save you a lot of trouble.
And it’s also human nature to forget good things quickly, and reminding yourself of an encouraging message from a friend can help if you star it when you receive it. It’s always easy to go back and reread it.
Let us know what you think about WhatsApp starred messages in the comments section below.