How to Block Lost or Stolen Airpods from Being Used
Airpods are an amazing piece of technology, which is why they aren’t exactly cheap. As wireless earbuds, they have great integration with all Apple products. But what if your Airpods get lost, or worse, stolen?
Well, if the thief has an iPhone, iPad or Mac they can easily reset the product and make it their own. Unfortunately, there’s no way you can block your lost or stolen Airpods as they’re not connected to Wi-Fi. If you’re lucky enough you might be able locate them. Read on for more details.
What Should You Do If Your Airpods Are Lost or Stolen?
Since all Airpods use Bluetooth technology to connect to your iPhone or other devices, they rely heavily on that device. Individually, they’re hard to locate because they don’t use a Wi-Fi connection on their own.
Don’t despair. Apple knows how bad it is when you lose your Airpods, so they’ve worked out a solution. You can either use the iCloud website to locate your Airpods on the computer or the Find My iPhone app, which is free in the App Store.
Hopefully, the Apple device you paired up with your Airpods had an iCloud account. You’ll need this and the Find my iPhone app in order to locate your lost Airpods. Apple added the Find my Airpods feature to the Find my iPhone app, and it tracks your Airpods automatically.
In theory, this may sound complicated, so let’s get to the application of this app.
How to Locate your Airpods
Hope is not lost; there’s still time to find your Airpods. First, let’s take a look at the iCloud method. Follow all these steps if you’re using the iCloud website (if you’re using the Find my iPhone app, start from step 3):
- Visit the iCloud.com website on your computer.
- Use your login credentials to log in to your account linked to your Airpods.
- Click on the Find iPhone button (start the Find my iPhone app).
- The Find my iPhone feature will initiate the search process. Click on the All Devices tab and choose Airpods.
- If the search is successful, you’ll see your Airpods pinpointed on the map. They’ll appear as a green dot if online, i.e. connected to your iPad or iPhone. The gray dot means they can’t be found. We’ll get to that later.
- Assuming your Airpods are found (green dot), click on the dot. Next, click on the I button on the window that pops up.
- Use this pop-up window to click on Play Sound. This will trigger a loud noise from your Airpods.
- You can stop playing the sound, or mute either left or right Airpod. This is useful if you’ve only lost a single Airpod. You don’t want this sound to blast in your ear, trust us.
Look around your house or the spot where you last remember using the Airpods. This loud noise should help you locate them. In case you dropped your Airpods in different locations, and you only find one of them, put the Airpod you found back in the case, and use the same steps to locate the other one.
If Find My iPhone Can’t Locate Your Airpods
If your Airpods appeared as a gray dot on the Find my iPhone app, you’ve got a problem. This will only show you their last location, i.e. the location where they were last connected to your iPhone or another device.
There are many reasons why this can occur. You need to have the Find My iPhone app installed preemptively before you lose your Airpods. This is the best measure of precaution for losing your Airpods, so it’s best to set it up as soon as you make your purchase.
Your lost Airpods may be out of juice; if the battery is empty they can’t be found. Also, they could be out of range. The range where you can find them is in a close radius of your Apple device to which they are connected (Bluetooth range).
Finally, your Airpods might be resting in the Airpods case. You can’t connect them to your device while they’re in the case.
Lost and Found
We really hope this helped you to find your Airpods. Unfortunately, Airpods are much harder to find then your iPhone, because iPhones are always online (when switched on) and can, therefore, be tracked more easily. Finding your Airpods depends on the proximity of your iOS device.
In case your Airpods are stolen, you most likely won’t be able to find them. This is the harsh reality. If you lose only one Airpod, or you lose the case, you can get a replacement from Apple. You’ll need the serial number of your Airpods, to relay to Apple support.
These replacements will cost you an additional fee. If you have any ideas or comments, post them in the section below.