How to Cancel App Store Subscriptions via iOS and iTunes
The iTunes and iOS App Store ecosystems offer a virtually unlimited number of subscription-based services and applications. These apps help us learn a foreign language, learn to code, educate our children, and access handy media features.
While the convenience and security of monthly billing via Apple for these apps is valuable to many users, sometimes you find that you no longer need a particular subscription-based app or service. A lot of subscription-based businesses rely on users forgetting about their recurring payments, or determining that the fee is low enough to avoid the effort. From Ron Lieber of The New York Times:
None of your subscriptions will bankrupt you, though taken — and canceled — together and diverted to savings, they may add up to a decent chunk of a vacation budget. But the growing list of subscriptions is yet another reminder of just how much complication can come with convenience. It is often easier to start a recurring service than end it, and even when you spot the $9.99 a month, you may not want to put the $9.99 (or more) of effort required into getting rid of it. Which is exactly what these companies want you to think.
Thankfully, Apple acting as the middleman means that you’re not just minimizing the financial risk of an over-charged bill or stolen financial information, you’re also giving yourself a single destination to cancel those App Store subscriptions. Here’s how to do it.
Cancel iTunes & App Store Subscriptions in iOS
- Tap on your Apple ID at the top of the page. Note that you’ll need to make sure you’re logged in with the account associated with the subscription you wish to cancel. If you’re not, follow the next step but tap Sign Out instead. Then log back in with the correct Apple ID account.
- If you’re logged in with the correct account, tap View Apple ID. Depending on your device’s security settings, you may need to authenticate with Touch ID, Face ID, or a passcode first.
- Scroll down to find and select Subscriptions.
- Find and select the subscription you wish to cancel from the list of your currently active subscriptions.
- After selecting the desired subscription, tap Cancel Subscription at the bottom of the subscription’s info page.
- Tap Confirm to verify your cancellation.
Note that recurring subscriptions that have already been cancelled will still be listed in your Active list until the date of their non-renewal expiration. You can distinguish these by their reference to an “Expires” date instead of “Next billing date.”
Cancel iTunes & App Store Subscriptions in iTunes
If you don’t have an iOS device handy, or if you just prefer to use the desktop route, you can also manage and cancel your App Store subscriptions via the iTunes app for macOS and Windows.
- Launch iTunes and, making sure that you’re logged into the correct account, select Account > View My Account from the menu bar (macOS) or toolbar (Windows). Enter your iTunes password when prompted.
- Scroll down to the Settings section and find the Subscription entry. You’ll see the total number of subscriptions listed. Note that this includes both active and expired subscriptions. Click the Manage button on the right.
- Find the service or app subscription you wish to cancel and click Edit.
- Click Cancel Subscription and confirm your choice when prompted.
If you’re having trouble cancelling a subscription or have questions related to billing and subscription terms, use the Contact Apple Support feature to initiate a support request via email, chat, or phone.