How to Change the Group Photo in GroupMe
Profile or group avatars on GroupMe help you get noticed. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll want to keep the same photo forever.
Luckily, you can easily change your group avatar if you come across something more appropriate. In this article, we’re going to show you exactly how to change a GroupMe group photo.
Changing the Group Avatar
You might want to change your group photo for a number of reasons. Perhaps someone left the group, or another member found an extraordinary photo. Fortunately, updating a group avatar is easy. Just follow these steps:
- In the app, open the chat and tap on the group photo you’re about to update.
- Once the chat is active, tap on its avatar in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and select Settings.
- Select Edit Group Details in the Settings menu.
- Tap Change option, right under the group’s avatar.
- Choose another photo that you want to be your avatar.
- Tap Next and wait for the picture to upload.
The process is exactly the same for the web version. However, changing the avatar might be easier, as you’re likely to have more pics on your smartphone than on your computer.
Image or GIF?
Did you ever imagine that you’d be able to use GIFs as avatars? Well, now you can! GroupMe lets you set a GIF as your group photo. To do so, follow the exact same steps as you did for the ordinary JPEG image.
- If you don’t have the desired GIF on your device, search for it, and download it.
- Tap on the group’s avatar and find Settings.
- Choose Edit Group Details and tap Change.
- Select a GIF you want to set as an avatar.
- Click Next.
Note that GIFs might lag and animate only when you view the images. When you’re in chat mode, it may act as an ordinary image. Similarly, it might be still when you first open the chat and animate only after you’ve clicked on it. If you find this slightly inconvenient, you should probably stick to JPEG or PNG images.
Changing the Group Name
Now that you’ve changed the group avatar, the current group name might not be suitable anymore. Luckily, you can change it in a few simple steps.
If you’re using Android:
- Open the app and click on the three lines icon.
- Open Chats, then choose a group chat.
- Click on three dots icon.
- Choose Change Group Name
- Type a new name and click OK.
If you’re an iOS user:
- Open GroupMe and click on the three lines icon in the top left corner
- Open Chats and select the group you want to edit.
- Open the group and click on its name at the top to open the menu.
- Choose Settings, then click on Edit Group
- Insert the new name and tap Done.
For the web version:
- Open your web browser and log into your GroupMe account.
- Find the group you want to edit and click on it to activate a drop-down menu.
- In the menu, find Settings and click on it.
- Click on Edit next to the group name
- Click on the text field and write a new name.
- Click on the checkmark icon.
Changing Your Profile Photo
After you’ve updated the group’s avatar, you might want to change your own profile photo.
In the app version, you should:
- Open the main menu and choose your profile.
- Tap Edit (or pencil icon).
- Choose your current profile photo or choose Edit avatar.
- Take a new image or upload the one you have previously saved on your device.
If you’re using the web version, do as follows:
- Click on your current profile photos to open the profile settings.
- Hover over the photo and choose Change avatar.
- Choose the new image and click Open.
- Choose OK when the confirmation box pops up.
Your contacts and group members won’t receive any notification that you’ve changed your personal profile photo. However, when you change a group avatar, all members will receive a message saying you’ve updated the group profile photo.
Change for the Better
The group photo and name that you set when you create the group doesn’t have to always remain the same. Whenever you’re not happy with the photo, upload a new one. You don’t like the name of the group? Change it, it’s quite straightforward. Play around with your nickname and profile too.
Have you ever edited your group’s photo? Do you often change your avatar? Don’t hesitate to share your experiences in the comments section below.