If you’ve been using KODI for a while now, you’ve probably already got useful add-ons like Exodus and Phoenix installed. Have you noticed some stuttering, buffering, or pausing in your playback? We have a remedy for that—you’re going to need to clear the cache in the KODI Media Center.
The easiest way to clear the cache in KODI is with the Maintenance Tool program add-on. You’ll first have to install it, and then you can clear the cache easily and in a matter of seconds.
Note: I’m also going to let you know up front that, since I’ve installed the most recent release of KODI version 16 Jarvis, I’ve had fewer issues with buffering and lag during streaming playback. I’m just putting that out there as well.)
Now, on to clearing the cache in your KODI Media Center.
Clearing KODI’s Cache
On the KODI home screen, you’ll navigate to “Programs.”
- Select “Programs.”
- Now, click “Addon Installer.”
- Next, you’ll click on “Program Add-ons” in the list.
- Choose the Maintenance Tool on the next screen by scrolling to locate, select, and install it.
- A pop-up box will appear. The pop-up box asks for your confirmation to install the Maintenance Tool. Click on the “Install” button.
- It may take a few minutes for the installation to complete.
- A success box will show on your screen when it’s completed, and then you will click “OK.”
This completes the process of adding the Maintenance Tool program to your KODI Media Center.
Using the Maintenance Tool
Now, we’ll be showing you how to use the Maintenance Tool you’ve just installed to clear the cache in KODI.
Head back to the KODI home screen.
Now make your way to Programs in the KODI home menu.
- Click on “Programs.”
- Select the Maintenance Tool to launch it.
- A pop-up box will appear to tell you that it’s intended for advanced users; click “Continue.” (You’re just clearing the cache. No risk, no worries.)
- Another box will pop up displaying community news updates; click “OK” to dismiss it.
- Select “General Maintenance” to proceed.
- On the next screen, select “Clear cache.”
- Once the cache is cleared, another pop-up box will appear on the screen, letting you know that the cache has cleared and the process is completed. Click “OK.”
You’ve now cleared the cache in KODI.
Anytime you feel there is a playback issue—such as a lot of buffering—clearing the cache usually helps resolve the situation, unless you are streaming from a location that is under a heavy load of streaming consumption. Then it’s most likely something on the server’s end of things, and you may want to try selecting a different stream provider or selecting a different stream resolution quality.
We hope this helps you to continue enjoying your KODI experience!