How To Create a Boomerang for an Instagram Post or Story
There are many interesting ways to share your stories and experiences with your Instagram followers. The Boomerang feature is one of the most popular ways to add fun to your Instagram videos and make them more memorable. In this article, you will learn how to enrich your Instagram story with Boomerangs.
What Is Boomerang?
Boomerang is a video app which allows its users to record super-short videos. First, Boomerang takes a series of rapid snapshots and then composes them into a video. The users can send their Boomerang videos to their Instagram friends or publish them on their Stories. Also, Boomerang can operate independent of the Instagram. It does not require the users to create profiles or accounts in order to use it.
The story of Boomerang began back in October 2015, when it was launched as Instagram’s third stand-alone app (after Bolt in July 2014 and Hyperlapse in May 2015). Since late 2016, it has been a staple of every Instagram version to date. Since June 28, 2018 and the launch of Instagram’s app version 51, users can also add music to their Boomerang videos.
How to Make a Boomerang
Creating a Boomerang video is a super-easy and fun to do. Here’s what you need to do.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Open the camera.
- Tap on the “Boomerang” icon in the lower right corner.
- Select the camera with which you want to record your Boomerang.
- Tap the “Shutter” icon.
- When Boomerang is done, it will allow you to do some basic editing. You can draw, write text, and toggle the sound on or off. The Sound, Draw, and Text icons are located in the upper right corner of the screen. After you’ve entered the text or drawn a form, you can edit them before publishing your Boomerang story.
- Once you’re done, tap the “Tick” icon on the bottom of the screen. The Boomerang will then appear on your story.
How to Add Music to Boomerang
Since the Instagram version 51 (published June 28, 2018), the app allows you to spice up your videos and photos with music. This means that you can add music to your Boomerangs, as well. Here’s a step-by-step guide to adding music to Boomerangs. Before you start, make sure that you have the latest version of Instagram. With that out of the way, let’s proceed to adding the music.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Find the Boomerang video you want to add music to and select it.
- Tap on the “Music” sticker. It is located in the sticker tray.
- Browse the available songs and pick the one you would like to add to the video. The categories include Moods, Popular, and Genres. Select the category and pick a song. All songs on the list are available through Instagram, so you won’t have to log in to a music app.
- Rewind and fast-forward until you have found the right part of the song and select it.
- Publish the video to your story, send it to a friend, or save it to your device.
Boomerang allows you to customize your experience with a number of settings. However, the settings can’t be accessed through Instagram. For that, you will have to launch the Boomerang app. Unfortunately, these settings are currently only available to iPhone users. To access the settings, open the Boomerang app and tap the screen four times with four fingers. Some of the most important settings include:
- For a smaller file size, choose 720p. If you want maximum quality, go with 1080p.
- This setting determines how your Boomerangs will be played. You can select between four playback modes: forward, back, forward and back, and forward and back w/pause.
- Frame Count. You can select anywhere between 3 and 10. This determines how many photos will make up your Boomerang.
- Capture Frame Rate. It determines how fast the app will shoot the photos. You can choose anywhere between 1 and 20.
- Playback Frame Rate. This setting determines how fast your Boomerang will be played. Again, the app allows you to set the rate anywhere between 1 and 20.
- Loop Repetitions. As its name says, this setting allows you to choose how many times your Boomerang will repeat before it stops. You can choose anywhere between 1 and 10.
- Default Camera Position. You can choose between the front and back cameras.
With the short and funny videos created through Boomerang, your Instagram stories will never look the same again. Shoot, edit, post, and change your Boomerang settings to find what works best for you and your followers. Most importantly, don’t forget to have fun along the way.