How the Snapchat Score is Calculated
Snapchat understands what makes users want to do more. They’ve gamified their app with the Snapchat score, a mysterious number that lets you know roughly how active you are on the social media platform. However, they aren’t forthcoming with exactly how that score is calculated.
If you look at the Snapchat FAQ about this score, they refer to is as a “super secret special equation.” They hint that this equation involves the number of snaps that you’ve sent and received. However, they also mention “a couple of other factors.” In short, you can rest assured that being active on the app will likely help your score, but you can’t know exactly how.
Understanding the Snapscore.
A variety of tech blogs and third party sites have attempted to troubleshoot these scores to get to the bottom of how Snapchat activity affects them. Many of them have managed to locate some elements in common. However, these have not necessarily been confirmed by the app developers. Consider this food for thought.
- Snaps Sent and Received – Let’s just get the obvious ones out of the way. Snapchat has already confirmed that these basic functions play into the score.
- Users Added – How many people do you follow? How many are you friends with?
- Snap Frequency – How often do you use the app?
- Length of SnapStreaks – You can have SnapStreaks with friends by sending and receiving snaps for several consecutive days.
- Stories Posted – How often do you post stories?
- Bonus Points for Coming Back – Many sites theorize that if you haven’t used the app in a while and then come back and start snapping, then you’ll get a boost to your score.
In short, use the app. Use it often. Take advantage of its many features. Do this, and you’ll have a healthy Snapchat score.
How to Find Your Snapchat Score
But, wait a second. This is the first time you’ve been hearing about scores. How do you know what your own score is? What about your friends’? Are their scores bigger than yours? It’s actually easier to find Snapchat scores than you think.
Find Your SnapScore
- Go to your profile screen. You can do this by tapping on your Bitmoji icon or the circle in the upper left -hand corner if you don’t have a Bitmoji icon.
- Find your display name under your Snapcode image. Look beneath that to find additional information. The number in between your username and zodiac sign is your Snapchat score.
- Tap on the Snapchat score to reveal two other numbers. These are the numbers of snaps you’ve sent and received.
Don’t try to do the math with the number of snaps sent and received. It won’t add up to your score in any way that makes sense.
Find Your Friend’s SnapScore
Now you know what your SnapScore is, but what about your friends? Do they have more points than you? Snapchat doesn’t provide any kind of leaderboard where you can gawk at the highest volume users. Instead, you just have to look at scores individually by checking out your friends’ profiles.
- Find the user in question.
- Swipe right on the user to open a chat window.
- Tap the menu icon to open a page that shows their display name, username, and score.
Now what do you do? You could write it down to create a leaderboard of your own, but know that SnapScores can change in…well…a snap.
What Does it All Mean?
In a word: nothing. Your Snapchat score will not unlock special Snapchat features. It will not make it easier for people to find and follow you. It does literally nothing functional (that we can tell). It will get you trophies that you can brag about to your friends.
Keep this in mind when you’re agonizing over your Snapchat score. Don’t let websites scam you into thinking they can artificially boost your score if you pay them money. They can’t do what they claim, and it’s not worth the trouble of finding out the hard way.
Just snap a lot, make new friends, and admire your internet trophies.