Did you know that you can access your iTunes library to listen to your music collection on your Chromebook? We’re going to walk you through how to listen to iTunes with the Google Play music application already installed on your Chromebook.
There’s not a native iTunes application that you can use on a Chromebook; instead, there is Google Play music. You may be thinking to yourself, Okay, great, but all my music is in the iTunes app on my Mac or PC. Right?
Well, here’s the scoop: you can upload your iTunes music to Google Play.
Get the Google Play Music Manager
You’ll first need to navigate here and get the Google Play Music Manager application. Then, click on the big orange button that says “Download Music Manager.” This is how you’re going to upload your iTunes library to Google Play Music. This also allows you to access your music from anywhere you have the Google Play Music app installed, such as your mobile device and the Web.
After you’ve downloaded the Google Play Music Manager, install it on your Mac or PC. Then, follow these steps to upload your iTunes music collection to Google Play Music.
- The Google Play Music Manager prompts you as you go along. Click on the “Next” button in the lower right-hand corner of the Manager.
- On the next screen in the Google Play Manager setup, you’ll log into your Google account. If you don’t have a Google account, create one now. Then, log in with your Google credentials.
- Next, the Google Play Music Manager asks where you keep your music stored. Since we’re talking about iTunes in this post, we’ll be selecting iTunes. Then, click the “Next” button in the lower right-hand corner of the Music Manager.
Google Play Music now scans your iTunes music library and you’ll be prompted to upload your iTunes music to the Google Play Music app. (Note: Our screenshots display Windows 10, but the process works similarly on MacOS.)
Now you can also add the Google Play Music app or extension to your Google Chrome browser, if you wish. This lets you get into your music collection from within the Google Play app, which should now appear in your Google apps under your account in the Chrome browser. You’ll also be able to use the Google Play website to listen to and view your music collection.
On Your Chromebook
After your music has been uploaded from iTunes, it should all be in the Google Play Music application on your Chromebook.
- To open Google Play Music, go to the app launcher (the magnifying glass in the lower left-hand corner of your Chromebook). If you want easier access next time, once you’ve located Google Play Music in the app launcher, just drag and drop it to pin it to the bottom of your Chromebook’s screen.
- Click (or tap if you have a touch screen) on the Google Play Music icon. It’ll open a mini player, which tells you to log in to Google Play Music from a Web browser first to use it.
- Clicking or tapping on “Sign In” will open the Google Chrome browser. Once you sign in, you’ll see all the music you’ve uploaded from iTunes available for your listening pleasure.
Install the Google Play Application or Extension
Now, with your iTunes music library uploaded from your Mac or PC, you’re able to listen to all your music from your iTunes library in the Google Play Music application as well.
Your music library also remains accessible from the iTunes app on your Mac or PC; fear not! Now you just have more options for enjoying your music.
- Open your Google Chrome browser. Next, navigate to the Google web store. Type “Play Music” in the search bar.
- Download and install the Google Play Music app on your Google Chrome browser on a Mac or PC.
- Once you have the Google Play Music app installed in your Chrome browser, you’ll have access to your music anytime, anywhere you use Chrome.
That about covers it . . . Now you can access your iTunes library from your Chromebook and anywhere you use the Google Chrome browser with the Google Play Music application. We hope this was useful for those of you that needed it and thought your music had become forever tied to the iTunes application only.