How to Reset Your Instagram Account
If you want to reset something on your Instagram account, you are likely searching for a way to reset your username, password, email address or phone number. Or you might be searching for a way to reset your entire account, deleting all of your old photos, likes, and followers. Whatever your reasons for being here, we’ve got you covered – from fixing those login credentials to wiping the slate clean.
How to Reset Your Instagram Password
To start, let’s first look at how to reset your password. If you’re locked out of your account and can’t seem to sign into Instagram, we have a few suggestions. First, if you’ve linked your Instagram and Facebook account together, try logging in with your Facebook profile. This might be all you need to get back into your account, where you can change and update your password. Follow these steps to reset your passw
- Tap “Forgot password?”
- You’ll have three options: “Username,” “Phone” and “Log in with Facebook.”
- If you know your Facebook login and it’s connected to your Instagram, select that option.
- Otherwise, enter your username, email address or phone number. You will be sent an email address with a link to reset your password and log back into your account.
If you do not receive a link to reset your password, then you may have been hacked; and the hacker may have changed information in your account to keep you from being able to regain access. Or, you may not remember the original username, email address or phone number you used for the account. Don’t worry–there’s another option.
- Open the app.
- Tap “Forgot password?”
- Tap “Need more help?”
- Fill out the information on the screen, then tap “Request Support.”
Fill out the information as thoroughly as you can. The more convincing you can be that you are the legitimate owner of the account, the more likely it is that Instagram will decide to give you access back. Include any additional details that the security team might need to help them make an accurate decision. However, know that this may not work. Instagram works hard to make sure people cannot gain access to accounts they do not own, so they have to err on the side of caution when they receive a request for additional assistance in logging in.
How to Delete All Your Instagram Photos
Maybe getting access to your account isn’t your problem – maybe you’re looking to purge all of those old sepia-toned photos and start afresh. Before you go crazy deleting everything, know that you can easily archive old pictures. Archiving means that no one can see them except you. To archive a photo, follow these steps:
- Open the photo you want to archive.
- Tap the three horizontal dots in the top right corner.
- Tap “Archive.”
To view archived photos, go to your profile, and tap the rewind icon in the top left corner of the screen. There, you can view both all previous stories and your archived photos. If you still want to permanently delete your pictures, a third-party app is the best way to go. Each of the apps listed below can help you wipe all of your photos or followers.
- Mass Delete for Instagram
- Mass Unfollow for Instagram
- Cleaner for IG
Let’s take Mass Unfollow for Instagram as an example. Despite the name, this app is not only about following and unfollowing people en masse – you can use it for a variety of other functions as well.
- Download and install the app from the app store.
- Log in with your Instagram credentials.
- Go to the “Media” tab along the bottom row of icons.
- Tap on all the photos you want to delete.
- Tap “Action” in the upper right corner.
- Tap “Delete.”
This makes starting fresh on Instagram an easy feat.
How to Delete Your Account and Open it Again
If you’re going to go full-on erasure on this thing and every last shred of your Instagram account, you can do that from within the app itself. Note that following the instructions below will permanently remove all of your comments and likes, as well as reset your follower account to zero.
Still interested? Start by deleting your Instagram account.
- Go to the special Delete Your Account page on your mobile device or desktop.
- Select a reason for deletion from the drop-down menu.
- Re-enter your account password.
- Click or tap “Permanently delete my account.”
You can now create a new account with the same username–unless someone got to your username in the interim. Once you have your new account, it will be like a brand new account. Sometimes a fresh start is just what the doctor ordered.