On Facebook, the process to send out a single message to multiple recipients is the same as sending a message to one person. Although Facebook sets a limit on how many recipients can receive your message, up to 250 members, if you want to reach everyone on your friends’ list, you can create multiple group messages.
This is a great way to get important correspondence out immediately to everyone the information may concern all at once. You can even create a “Secret Group” that allows you to include as many individuals as you want. These groups face the same rules as a private Facebook message between friends:
- Your friends can choose to opt in or out of the group at any time.
- Messages can be muted by members of the group who no longer want to receive the messages.
Facebook groups are only available to desktop computer users so keep that in mind when attempting the steps presented below.
Sending A Message To Multiple Members At Once On Facebook
The ability to send a single message to all of your friends (or those that matter) is possible on both the Facebook Messenger app and the official Facebook website. The steps to pull it off can vary slightly depending on which platform you choose to use.
The Messenger App
- Launch the Facebook Messenger app from your mobile device (iOS or Android).
- The Messenger app icon looks like a blue speech bubble with a white lightning bolt inside.
- Tap the New Chat icon.
- It appears as a white pencil icon for Android and a white icon with a black pencil over a black square on an iPhone or iPad.
- You can find the icon at the top right of your screen.
- Things to keep in mind when creating your message:
- Facebook only allows you to add 250 recipients to a single message. If you have more than 150 friends, you’ll have to create multiple messages to reach everyone.
- If you have to create more than one message, you may want to compose your message in a different app, like the Notes app or Google Keep app, so you can easily paste it into multiple messages.
- To select the friends you want to reach with your message, you can type out their names into the field at the top of the screen and select them that way.
- If you want to reach all of your friends, you can type in a single vowel into the field and select the friends that pop-up. You can do this for each subsequent vowel in the alphabet.
- Tap OK once you’ve selected all of the friends you’ve chosen for this message.
- At this point, you can finally start typing in your message. Tap the typing area at the bottom of the screen to open the keyboard and knock out your message.
- Once the message is finished, tap the Send button.
- The Send icon is the paper airplane at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Whenever you receive a response to the sent message, everyone within the group will see that response. To reach more than 250 people you’ll have to repeat the steps outlined above or you can move further down and follow the process for creating a Facebook Group.
Using Facebook Through A Web Browser
- Head on over to the official website for Facebook and log in using your account credentials.
- Click the Messages icon (black chat bubble, blue lightning bolt) located at the top-right of your home page.
- A drop-down menu will open up.
- Click the New Message link from the drop-down menu, to open a new chat box.
- Type in the name of each friend that you want to receive the message.
- You can follow the same steps as detailed in the previous section for The Messenger App when it comes to adding friends. This is especially important if you want to add a large number of friends to the message recipient list.
- Click on the input box and type in the message you wish to send.
- When your message concludes, press the Enter key to send it out.
If the purpose of sending out the message is to foster engagement between all of those included, you can instead choose to click on New Group instead of New Message as stated in step 3.
After doing so:
- A box will pop up with a few parameters you’ll need to address before you can send out the message.
- You’ll be able to name the group by clicking on the “Name Your Group” text field and typing in a name.
- You also have the option of adding an icon for the group by clicking the box with a ‘+’ in it, located to the left of the name field.
- Here, you can still only add up to 250 recipients. The difference is that all of your friends are presented in a list and you can scroll through the list to select each friend you want to add to the message by clicking on the radial button to the left of the name.
- You can also still choose to enter in the names of the friends into the search field. This is likely the better way to go if your friends’ list is extensive.
- Finalize the group creation by clicking on the Create button.
- Doing so will close that window and open up a new chat window.
- Now you can type in your message and press Enter to send it off.
Creating A Facebook Group
While on Facebook at your desktop, you’ll also have the option to create a Facebook Group. This method is different from just sending a simple group message where the limit is 250 recipients. Instead, this option allows you to reach more people by posting as you would on your Facebook Wall instead of being at the mercy of the limited options offered via messages. So long as those friends have group notifications enabled, of course.
Everyone that you invite to the Facebook Group will be notified that they’ve been added. This also gives them the option to opt out if they so choose. You can also set it up for those friends that you add to also have the power of adding friends to the group themselves.
To create a Facebook Group:
- Navigate to the official Facebook website on your computer, in your browser of choice.
- From the left side menu on Facebook Home, find and click on Groups.
- Groups will appear in the “Explore” section.
- Don’t see this option? Head into your profile page and click on the “More” tab. In the menu presented, click on Groups.
- Still, on the left side, click Create Group. It’ll appear as a green button.
- If you had to go through your profile page to find Groups, you can find the Create Group button by scrolling down the page to the “Groups” section and clicking on it in the top-right corner.
- A new window will pop-up with a few things to fill out in order to create the group.
- Begin by filling out the “Name your group” box with a name that represents what your group is all about.
- Type in the name of a friend that you want to add to the group. While you type, you’ll see suggestions of friends appear below your cursor which you can click to add.
- Do this for every member you want to add to the group.
- You can hit an invite limit during this process but you will be able to add anyone you missed initially after the Facebook Group is created.
- If this happens to you can just skip creating a message and make a post in the group instead.
- Next, choose the privacy level of the Facebook Group.
- By default, the privacy is set to Closed. This means that the group itself is public but the members and what is said is completely hidden anyone outside of the group.
- If creating this group just for the ability to talk to send messages to everyone on your friends’ list at once, just select Secret from the privacy menu. This removes it from the public eye completely.
- You can add a note that the recipients will see once the message is received by clicking on the Notes icon.
- The icon appears as a small blue icon at the far right of the “Add some people” blank.
- Check the box next to “Pin to Shortcuts” to ensure that your group is added to the “Shortcuts” menu in the left panel.
- Finally, type in the message.
- Click Create to finalize the creation of the Facebook Group.
The next steps are for those who could not add all of their friends to the group during the creation process in step 5.
What you need to do:
- Head back to the Facebook Home page.
- This is the page where Groups can be found on the left side menu.
- Locate your group name under the “Shortcuts” heading and click on it to open it up.
- Look for the “Invite Members” box on the right side of the page. Add those members you could not add earlier by typing in their names and selecting them.
- Once everyone has been added to the Facebook Group that you want, you can type your message into the “Write something” box at the top of the page.
- End this process by clicking the Post button.
This will send a notification to those who have notifications enabled that something new has been posted in the group. Those group members can then click or tap on the notification to see what has been written.