How to Redeem Keys on Steam
Not only can you play a wide variety of games on Steam, but you can also chat with other gamers, post on forums, release and test your games, broadcast your matches, and much more.
If you’re interested in sharing your gaming experience with the global community, it’s easy to register and get started. You only need to create an account, get the game client, and the keys to activate games. Would you like to know how to redeem keys? This article’s got you covered.
Ways to Redeem a Key on Steam
As mentioned, you need to use a key – or a code – to activate a game. You don’t need to enter the key every time, only on the first occasion. After that, you can download the game and play it.
However, some scams are related to Steam key redemption. Therefore, you need to be careful. You don’t want to end up paying for a key that won’t even work. The only secure way to redeem the correct key is via the official Steam website.
You can get your key by visiting the Steam Redemption page directly:
Another way is to do the following:
- When you log into your account, go to your downloaded games.
- Under the game title, click on Reveal your Steam key.
- You’ll be redirected to a new page where you’ll see the code.
- Select the code and copy it. Make sure you copy the whole key.
- Install and set up the Steam client software and open it on your computer.
- Log in using your Steam username and password.
- Go to the left corner of the screen and click on + Add a Game.
- Click on Activate a Product on Steam from the pop-up menu.
- Follow the instructions from the newly opened window and paste the key to the empty field on the screen.
- Click on Next to finish up.
A valid key will be accepted, and you’ll be redirected to your library. From there, you can download the desired game, install it, and play it. You can see the games you’ve registered in your library. If you don’t see the new game there, refresh the page and use the search bar to look for it.
Be aware that a key you’d like to redeem may not be available. You’ll see a message that says that the keys have been exhausted, so you just need to be patient and return to the page later to check if new keys are available.
How to Redeem Gift Cards and Wallet Codes
Other than keys, you can also redeem gift cards and wallet codes on Steam. These can be used to play more games or to send to a family member or a friend who also has a Steam account. They can be located anywhere in the world, and you don’t need to worry about the currency. Whatever the currency in your Steam Wallet when you redeem the code or card, the money will be converted.
Here’s how to redeem a wallet code or a gift card:
- Sign in to your Steam account and navigate to the bar at the top.
- Click on Games.
- Select Redeem a Steam Wallet Code from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your code in the field that appears on the next screen.
- Select Continue and follow the further on-screen steps to finish the process.
You can also send a gift card to a family member or a friend. Here’s how you can surprise someone by gifting them a new game:
- Visit the official Steam website and log into your account.
- Select Digital Gift Cards.
- As the next step, select an amount you want to give to your friend or family member. Amounts of $5, $10, $25, $50, and $100 are available.
- After you choose an amount, select a friend, and complete the purchase.
Remember that both you and the receiver of the gift card need to be Steam members. In addition, you also need to be connected on this network for at least three days before you send them a card.
Your friend needs to accept the gift before it appears in their Steam Wallet. If you don’t live in the same country and don’t use the same currency, they’ll receive the converted money. If your friend declines the gift, the gifted amount will go back to your wallet.
Keys and Gifts for More Games and Fun
After you create an account, you can immediately start filling up your Steam library with all the fun games you want to play. To activate one, you need to redeem a key, as described in the above steps. It’s also possible to redeem the gift cards and wallet codes you receive from friends or family members who also use Steam.
Have you experienced issues when redeeming Steam keys? Do you send gift cards to your friends on Steam? Share your experience in the comments section below.